MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donations for Haiti???

+3
bitty_bri
SophieCaroline
Whozat
7 posters

Go down

Donations for Haiti??? Empty re. Donations for Haiti

Post by djurgens Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

This article summarizes the reasons why well-intentioned organizations should not be sending breast milk to Haiti: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35134523/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

Aid organizations are encouraging mothers to breastfeed their own babies whenever possible.

djurgens

Back to top Go down

Donations for Haiti??? Empty more on pasteurization

Post by bitty_bri Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I spoke with my Immunology professor yesterday and he said that all immunological benefit is in fact destroyed. So how can they ask for milk in order to prevent the spread of disease? It is still nutritious, but so is formula. The immunological benefits is one of the most important aspects that separates the two.

bitty_bri

Back to top Go down

Donations for Haiti??? Empty Re: Donations for Haiti???

Post by jenniferd1031 Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 pm

I am going to copy and paste an email that I got today from my former LLL group.

Urgent Call for Human Milk Donations for Haiti Infants
Washington, DC--The Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA), United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC), International Lactation Consultant Association/United States Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA/USLCA), and La Leche League International (LLLI) are jointly issuing an urgent call for human milk donations for premature infants in Haiti, as well as s ick and premature infants in the United States.

This week the first shipment of human milk from mothers in the United States will be shipped to the U.S. Navy ship Comfort stationed outside Haiti. Comfort is currently set up with a neonatal intensive care unit and medical personnel to provide urgent care to victims of the earthquake. An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant stationed at the U.S. Navy base in Bethesda, MD is assisting with providing breast pump equipment and supplies to Comfort. Dr. Erika Beard-Irvine, pediatric neonatologist, is on board to coordinate distribution of the milk to infants in need. HMBANA, USBC, ILCA/USLCA, and LLLI are responding to requests to provide milk for both premature infants and at-risk mothers who have recently delivered babies on board the USNS Comfort, bu t an urgent need exists for additional donations.
At the current time, the infrastructure to deliver human milk to Haiti infants on land has not yet been established. As soon as that infrastructure is in place, additional donations will be provided to older infants.
Mothers who are willing to donate human milk should contact their regional Mothers' Milk Bank of HMBANA. A list of regional milk banks is available on the HMBANA Web site at (www.hmbana.org/index/locations).
Currently milk banks are already low on donor milk. New milk donations will be used for Haiti victims as well as to replenish donor supplies to continue t o serve sick and premature infants in the United States. Donor milk provides unique protection for fragile preterm infants. Financial donations are also strongly encouraged to allow HMBANA, a nonprofit organization, to continue serving infants in need.
UNICEF, the World Health Organization, the Emergency Nutrition Network, and medical professionals all recommend that breastfeeding and human milk be used for infants in disasters or emergencies. Human milk is life-saving due to its disease prevention properties. It is safe, clean, and does not depend on water which is often unavailable or contaminated in an emergency. Relief workers, health care providers, and other volunteers are urged to provide support for breastfeeding mothers to enable them to continue breastfeeding, and to assist pregnant and postpartum women in in itiating and sustaining breastfeeding.
For more information, contact HMBANA at 408-998-4550 (www.hmbana.org). Additional information can be provided from the United States Breastfeeding Committee at 202-367-1132 (www.usbreastfeeding.org), ILCA/USLCA at 800-452-2478 (www.ilca.org or www.uslca.org), or La Leche League at 847-519-7730 (www.llli.org).
The USBC is an organization of organizations. Opinions expressed by USBC are not necessarily the position of all member organizations and opinions expressed by USBC member organization representatives are not necessarily the position of USBC.
United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC)
The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) is an independent nonprofit coalition of 41 nationally influential professional, educational, and governmental organizations. Representing over half a million concerned professionals and the families they serve, USBC and its member organizations share a common mission to improve the Nation's health by working collaboratively to protect, promo te , and support breastfeeding. For more information about USBC, visit www.usbreastfeeding.org.
###
Phone: 202/367-1132
Fax: 202/367-2132
E-mail: office@usbreastfeeding.org
Web: www.usbreastfeeding.org
Unsubscribe from future USBC communications

Now I bet they will still require the same red tape as other donations through the milkbanks but it is worth posting.

jenniferd1031

Back to top Go down

Post by bitty_bri Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:30 pm

they pasteurize it though- I hate that!

bitty_bri

Back to top Go down

Post by HeatherMarie Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am

HeatherMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by milkforgray Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:22 pm

My husband and I are currently adoptiong a little guy from Haiti. We are desperately trying to get him home, but I wanted to chime in and say that bm would be an awesome donation but they are more in need of money at this time. The orphanage that our son is coming from (in Petionville, Haiti) is doing okay on supplies right now but they will only sustain them for so long with no stores open. If you really want to help, find a reputable charity to donate through.

Thank you!

milkforgray

Back to top Go down

Donations for Haiti??? Empty Was wondering the same thing!

Post by bitty_bri Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:47 pm

I understand that sending money is best, but you can't buy milk. I heard that they have some formula but with no water there is little they can do with it. I'd like to send some so let me know if you have any info. I wish I could just take it there myself. I know of 2 airlines that are flying people for free. If all I did was give milk, would it be worth it? Or would I just be in the way? I feel such a strong need to be there but with no medical degree I know it's silly.

bitty_bri

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieCaroline Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm

I think that for sanitary reasons and obvious other reasons, monitary donations would be better... but otherwise, try to contact the red cross, perhaps they can help you with that!

It's a lovely idea though!

SophieCaroline

Back to top Go down

Donations for Haiti??? Empty Donations for Haiti???

Post by Whozat Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Does anyone know of any organizations accepting donated breastmilk to send to Haiti?

Whozat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down