MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thawing milk that is in huge quantities?

5 posters

Go down

thawing milk that is in huge quantities? Empty thawing milk that is in huge quantities?

Post by mommyofmany Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 am

how would you thaw milk for a newborn if milk is in large quantities like 13 to even 32 ounces frozen in qt size freezer bags?

Is that possible? especially since I produce a little of my own milk so I only really need about 12 ounces a day at first anyway.

Would thawing it in cool water until I get the desired amount and then plopping the still frozen stuff back in the freezer be ok?

Anyone have this experience.

As a side note I am VERY loose with bm storage etc. I mean I have used milk that was 18 months old and I have used milk that was over 24 hours old out of freezer and I have used milk that was frozen then thawed and left out for 8 hours with NO ill effects on baby.
So I swear this stuff is "the bomb" and indestructable Smile
As long as it doesn't smell rotten I have always used it with great results.

Thanks mamas,

mommyofmany

Back to top Go down

thawing milk that is in huge quantities? Empty Re: thawing milk that is in huge quantities?

Post by bhtimm Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't have an answer for you on how to do this. Is this the only donor you have gotten milk from? Perhaps you could wait to use this milk until your baby is a little older and going through more milk per day. Still...32oz is going to take a LOOONG time to thaw!

The closest we've come to that is getting Lansinoh bags that were filled to the hilt with milk - they were about 13oz apiece. When my newborn was about 3-4weeks old she started going through 1 bag / day more or less.

But in the VERY beginning (for the first week or so), I only had to supplement a few oz/day (averaging 5-7oz / 24hr). My estimated production in the early period was around 7-9oz/24hr.

It's interesting to hear from someone who has used 18-month old milk before. One thing I was contemplating for my next pregnancy was to save up some of my own milk during the weaning process and freeze it, and have it on hand when the next baby comes. The disadvantage is the milk will be way off in age match, but it is still breastmilk, and even better, my own!

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

thawing milk that is in huge quantities? Empty Re: thawing milk that is in huge quantities?

Post by veggiegymrat Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Well, I defrost what I need for the entire day the night prior, before going to bed. However, I have received a donation in those huge ziploc bags. My husband put it on a cutting board and broke it up into little pieces and we thawed them out that way.

I will say that if you try to put the frozen chunk back in the freezer and just use what's been thawed, it will almost always spoil the part you put back in the freezer. I know because I've tried. I've also had shipments come in where half was frozen, half was not in the bag. I tried separating it and putting the frozen in the freezer immediately and it still came out sour. I also had a freezer accident and lost hundreds of ounces, tried to preserve what I could with the way above and it didn't work.

SO I would really advise breaking it up into little pieces and defrosting it that way Smile
veggiegymrat
veggiegymrat

Back to top Go down

Post by pump mom Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 am

You could try putting it clear in the back/coldest part of the freezer the night before. Then in the morning pour off the part that defrosted and put it back. You might not get enough at first and you may have to play with times and fridge location, but I have done similar things and most of it will stay frozen and good for a couple of days. I just make sure to pour off and use whatever melts. If need be you could store your own fresh milk in the fridge until the frozen is gone, then you could use your built up fresh supply until that runs out and only then pull out another bag. Just some thoughts. Good luck!

pump mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 am

I second either putting in the fridge to thaw and pour what thaws off to use or chop into chunks!

Good luck!

Barbara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down