MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area

2 posters

Go down

Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area Empty Re: Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area

Post by kraymond Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi again! I'm sorry, I can't find your name in the posts! I'm Kassandra....Smile

I can absolutely have a box sent right to you. We would be thrilled to have whatever you can spare! If there's a local family or someone else that has expressed interest, we can certainly share to spread the goodness among babies. Just let me know what you would be comfortable sending and I'll get the correct size box on order (and the address as well). It would be great if you wouldn't mind including dry ice (and of course, I would reimburse you that plus bags).

I talked to my mom, and since we're coming into the holiday season, shipping is probably the way to go. We fly standby and that's always iffy during the holiday months.

We have about ten days supply right now, so I think we're OK on having time to get a box to you and have it shipped.

We are so appreciative! I know you've also been working through the milk bank screening process, so I'm assuming all is OK in the smoke/drug/disease free department. I would be grateful to have a copy of any records you would be willing to provide as far as bloodwork. I always feel that's such a personal thing to ask, but I would much appreciate it.

You're also welcome to e-mail me directly at kassandra_raymond@hotmail.com, or my cell phone is 253-223-7979.

Thanks again!
Kassandra

kraymond

Back to top Go down

Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area Empty Re: Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area

Post by k_s_02 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:07 am

I am more than willing to ship to you if you are able to provide a box that I can ship milk in. Otherwise, we aren't too far from Chicago and might be able to meet you there some weekend if you prefer that. How is your supply of milk right now? I have the freezer space to hold onto it for awhile if that helps you out any. On the other hand, if you are needing it soon, I can ship it as soon as possible as well. Are you interested in taking all of it, or just some of it? If you would like me to ship the milk, I would be glad to send you an email with an address of where to send the shipping box. It wouldn't be much trouble for me to get some dry ice to pack with it to ensure that it stays frozen. It's completely up to you.

There is a chance that I may be in the Minneapolis area this Sunday visiting family. I'm not sure if that is somewhere you are able to fly to or if it would work out for you, but I wanted to mention it in case it would be a possibility.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Thank YOU for the quick response as well! Smile

k_s_02

Back to top Go down

Post by kraymond Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi again, THANK YOU! I also really appreciate the quick response Smile

I'm so glad you were able to nurse both your babies! We didn't learn about MilkShare until Clara was almost five months old, but we got very lucky and were able to find a one-time donor pretty quickly. I was amazed at how much better Clara does on momma's milk versus formula. She is less gassy, hardly spits up at all, and her poots no longer clear the room Smile I had a pretty hard time resigning myself to the fact that nursing just wasn't in the cards for us (after six lactation consultants, trying the SNS, etc.), but being able to participate in milk sharing has definitely helped me heal from the disappointment, since thanks to such generous mommas, my sweetie is still getting some "milkies".

Well, I'm in Washington State. My mom works for Alaska Airlines, so we're happy to travel to pick up milk (daddy can stay home with Clara), as long as I'm flying with my mom, we fly for no charge. We did this to Boise, and it worked great. It's also so nice to meet in person Smile We took two empty coolers, and brought them back full Smile But, Alaska doesn't fly to Iowa darn it! If you have family in an area that Alaska does fly, that could work, but I don't want to put any effort on you, I'm sure you've got a full plate with an infant and a toddler Smile

For shipping, I've done it once (with a wonderful momma in Colorado). It was pretty easy. I arranged to have a heavy duty temp controlled shipping box sent to her direct from Amazon. She in turn packed it up, and let me know when it was ready to go. She did get a block of dry ice to put into the box, which I'm happy to reimburse (here, we can get dry ice at the local Fred Meyer!) With a full box, I don't even think we need the dry ice, since I use overnight shipping. She let me know when it was ready, and I arranged for FedEx to pick it up from her house. The shipping fee went right to my debit card. And of course, I'm happy to reimburse or replace bags, whichever is your preference.

Hugs!
Kassandra & Clara

kraymond

Back to top Go down

Post by k_s_02 Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi there. I would be willing to ship but am not exactly sure how. If you could tell me how, I would be willing to try it. Where are you located? I have family throughout parts of the midwest and could probably make arrangements to get it to you if you live anywhere near any of them. I counted up what I have in my freezer now, and it is 660 ounces.

I did want to let you know that I had mastitis and was on Keflex for 10 days. This is the only medication I have taken while breastfeeding or pumping. I was told by my daughter's doctor that this was no problem for a healthy baby (she nursed throughout this time and had no negative effects from it), but there was a slight risk of her or me developing thrush or a yeast infection. Neither of us did. While I would have no problem feeding this milk pumped to my baby, I understand that some people might. I have the dates that I was on it written down, and if you would like me to exclude this milk and any pumped within the next week to 10 days, I could do that. I do not smoke or take any over the counter medications and only occasionally have a beer or glass of wine.

Both my son (who is now 22 months) and daughter (10 weeks) have done amazingly well on my milk. My son has never had an ear infection and has had only a few very mild upper respiratory infections in his life. My daughter gained almost 2.5 pounds in a month (from 6 lbs 10 ounces to 9 pounds). I completely understand your desire to keep your daughter on breast milk and would love to help if possible. I wish I had known about this site when I was pumping for my son...I probably dumped 1000 ounces because we simply didn't need it.
Sad

k_s_02

Back to top Go down

Post by kraymond Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:31 am

Hi there, I would definitely be interested for my six month old daughter! She was born with a condition that, while not major, made it difficult for her to nurse. I pump, but even with supplements and domperidone, I only make a few ounces a day. We've been lucky with some one-time donors, and she does so amazing on mother's milk I'm hoping to keep her on it as long as possible!

Are you willing to ship? I did that with a momma from Colorado and I try to make it absolutely as easy as possible (I would have a box sent to you, as well as prepay the shipping and make arrangements to have it picked up so you don't have to go anywhere). I'm also happy to reimburse bags (or have replacement bags sent to you) or any other expenses.

If you'd rather donate locally, I completely understand. Just let me know if you'd like to talk further You can reach me either on this board or directly through kassandra_raymond@hotmail.com. I am just in awe of mommas who donate, whomever they donate to. Thank you!

kraymond

Back to top Go down

Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area Empty Milk to Donate-Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area

Post by k_s_02 Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm

I have a 10 week old daughter who was born at 35 weeks gestation. I have been pumping since she was born and will definitely not need all the extra milk I have pumped. I'm not sure exactly how much milk I have to donate, but if someone is interested, I could add it up and let you know (I'm sure there is around 500 ounces...maybe more). I was told that because she was a little bit early, that milk is higher in fat and calories. I have transitional milk and mature milk available to donate. The milk is currently stored in an upright deep freeze in either breastmilk storage bags or bottles specifically made for freezing milk. These were given to us by the NICU when my daughter was there briefly. I am in the process of being screened to donate to the Mothers Milk Bank of Iowa and will be able to provide results of the blood test when it is complete. I do plan to donate some milk to the milk bank but also want to help out babies who might be at home and need milk without a prescription. Please let me know if you are interested. I would only ask to be reimbursed for the storage bags or bottles of your choice and the shipping (if needed). I am more than willing to drive to meet you with milk as long as it isn't too terribly far from the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area.

k_s_02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down