MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you work this out?

4 posters

Go down

How would you work this out? Empty How would you work this out?

Post by mel chris Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 am

How would you work out the logistics of donating milk to someone who lives literally 5 minutes away? Normally I'd just freeze it, but for someone who lives so close, it wouldn't need to be frozen since they'd be able to pick it up pretty quickly and frequently and it would be better to give it to them fresh! What would you do? Anyone on here in that situation? Smile To me it would make sense to just pick up a bottle per day since it's close and would be freshest then... but that might seem like a bit much even if it's close... maybe the donor could fill up a few bottles, leave them in the fridge and the recipient could pick them up every few days? Milk is supposed to be good for up to 8 days in the fridge, right? What are your thoughts?

mel chris

Back to top Go down

How would you work this out? Empty Re: How would you work this out?

Post by bhtimm Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:14 am

I've had several ultra-local donors like you describe. Neither of them are donating to me anymore, but we did pickups about 2 times a week when they were making the most milk. I really enjoyed it because it turned out to be a mini "playgroup" for our babies. I miss it! One of the moms had milk that truly stayed fresh for a week or so after it was pumped, and the other one had lipase issues so it went bad after 4-5 days or so. So it just depends.

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 pm

I guess it depends on how "fresh" the recipient wants it and how much is being produced. Would it be more than could be consumed in one day an better for it to be frozen?

Not sure where you are located and logistics of weather but perhaps setting a cooler outside each day with the milk in it and the recipient picking it up when convenient (if the donor is busy and this would be easier.)

Sounds like a great logistical problem to have since the donor is SO close.

Talk with the donor/recipient and surely you can work out something that is easy all the way around.

Barbara

Back to top Go down

Post by ajeanieball Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

It all depends on schedules and preferences. The fresher the milk, the better, so I would not freeze it. As a donor, I really would not mind the mother coming every day or so for milk but would probably just give it a few times a week to be sure I didn't need the milk 1st. I would actually prefer frequent pick ups so it would save me the time of putting all the milk in freezer bags and freezing them but that's just me Very Happy

ajeanieball

Back to top Go down

Post by mel chris Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks for all the input! (and nope - not so much that it should be frozen - really only usually 4 oz per day, just enough to replace one bottle of formula per day for a baby who is on mostly formula since his mother doesn't make much milk.)

mel chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down