MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question - reactions about donating milk

+4
Spencersmom
lucysmommy
bhtimm
JAMs Wife
8 posters

Go down

Question - reactions about donating milk Empty Question - reactions about donating milk

Post by JAMs Wife Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Hello,

I am looking to become a first time donor as I am currently over producing for my son's needs. I am really happy to be able to help out another family, and my husband is very supportive of this. He doesn't want the milk in the freezer to start over crowding the other food!

My question is for donors and recipients, how do other people (family/friends) react when you tell them you are donating or using donor milk?
Are people generally supportive of your choice? What do you find are the most common questions people ask about your experience?

Thanks!

JAMs Wife

Back to top Go down

Question - reactions about donating milk Empty Re: Question - reactions about donating milk

Post by bhtimm Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Not everybody knows about the fact that I have a low supply. I've only chosen to tell close friends and some family. When I mention that I use donor milk, most people are supportive. I haven't run into a lot of major opposition yet or anyone grossed out by it. But, then again, I have been selective about who I tell...If I was more open about the issue, more people would likely have negative reactions, I think.

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

Question - reactions about donating milk Empty Re: Question - reactions about donating milk

Post by lucysmommy Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't share the fact that I donate with many people. My husband and three good friends know. My family is not even supportive of the breastfeeding , due to my siblings and I being bottle fed. I've already had to stand up for my belief in breastfeeding so many times that I'm sick of discussing pretty much anything with them at this point. It's my choice to breastfeed, my choice to donate, and my choice to tell who I want to tell.
The people I've told have all been really supportive. They think it's great I'm helping other babies and that mom's go to such lengths to get their babies breastmilk instead of just settling for formula when that isn't what they really want to do. The questions I have been asked are mostly about the age of the recipient baby, and why the mom and baby need more breastmilk. My husband always asks me what city and state the milk is going to as we like to drive it half way if possible when dropping it off. He is very supportive, unlike my parents etc. of my choice to breastfeed.
lucysmommy
lucysmommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Spencersmom Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Everyone that I've told has been very supportive. The majority of them have never even heard of breastmilk donation so I also get a chance to educate them. Love it!

Spencersmom

Back to top Go down

Post by kathy.rosegarden Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:28 am

So far I haven't gotten any negative reactions, either. I have been a recipient twice now...with my DD two years ago and now again with my son. I have IGT and never made more than half they needed and to complicate it they have allergies that make formula off limits completely. I am a little choosy as to how much I tell people but when they're are sincerely interested I am happy to educate them Very Happy Most people never knew such a thing was an option. Smile

I do get asked by well-meaning people if I have done --you name it they've asked it--to increase my supply. I say, "been there done that". That kind of annoys me, but then, they've never been in my shoes.
kathy.rosegarden
kathy.rosegarden

Back to top Go down

Post by laura_mae99 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 am

everyone in my family is supportive that i donate! Hubby knows if anything ever happened to me i expect him to get donor milk for our baby! LOL but hubbys family is NICU doctors, and nurses!!! so they really pushed me to donate and breastfeed! Witch was amazing, if it wasn't for them i don't think i would have made it. Thank the lord for family support :-)
laura_mae99
laura_mae99

http:// http://www.modernmilksharing.com/          http:// http:

Back to top Go down

Post by msilverbelle Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 pm

I let everyone know that I donate. I've posted status updates and pictures of the milk and the babies on Facebook. I believe education/awareness is important. The more people that know about donating milk, the more acceptable it will become. Awareness will result in more donor mamas. I cringe everytime I hear about someone throwing away milk when they could have donated it. Awareness also lets recipient mamas know that there are other options besides formula.
msilverbelle
msilverbelle

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000236349725

Back to top Go down

Post by MamitaM Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am

I'm really proud that I donate and happy to tell the whole world! I'm estranged from my family so they don't need to know,except for my 14 year old sister who thinks it's "cool" that I donate! My good friend back home is a nurse,doula and new mom (well her baby is a year now) thinks it's great! My own doula thinks it's great that I've decided to donate and other women have told me they are amazed that I started to pump and donate when my son was just 3 weeks old. I really do love being able to donate and now to be a part of EOF as well.

MamitaM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down