MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you store a large qty milk?

5 posters

Go down

How do you store a large qty milk? Empty How do you store a large qty milk?

Post by steph0530 Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm seeing that many donating mommas are using bags with 8-12 oz in them. What brand of bags are these? I use the 5/6oz capacity lansinoh and medela storage bags and have never seen anything bigger.

Am I missing something? I read somewhere that ziplocks weren't suitable for freezing human milk, but don't remember why...
steph0530
steph0530

Back to top Go down

How do you store a large qty milk? Empty Re: How do you store a large qty milk?

Post by AvarraClover Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I use the Lanisoh bags. They say 5-6 ounces but you can fit up to 10 ounces in them. None of the other brands have capacity for that much. But generally speaking there "technically" are no bags marked for over 6 ounces.
AvarraClover
AvarraClover

Back to top Go down

Post by myblueeyedbabies Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:50 pm

when I was freezing milk I used the Ziplock quart or pint (can't remember which) freezer bags. The only reason I know as to why they shun the Ziplock is because it's not sterile. All the other bags specifically for breastmilk are presterilized. I didn't have the money to spend on those bags so I used the Ziplock. They worked great and my daughter never had problems. I don't think all recipient mamas would be so passive about it, but I'd take breastmilk donated in washed out beer bottles if it came down to it..LOL. Just thought I'd chime in.
myblueeyedbabies
myblueeyedbabies

Back to top Go down

Post by steph0530 Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm

AvarraClover wrote:you can fit up to 10 ounces in them.

And they don't explode after freezing?!?! Cool.
steph0530
steph0530

Back to top Go down

Post by AvarraClover Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Yup. I have only had one get a hole because it was dropped while frozen. Wink
AvarraClover
AvarraClover

Back to top Go down

How do you store a large qty milk? Empty re: large quantities

Post by spunkymom Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 am

One reason you might not want to store and freeze large quantites is that the donor mom is bound to have some go bad thawing that much at a time. Thawed BM is only good in the fridge for 24 hours and I've had some go bad before this mark.

Congratulations on pumping that much at a time, I'm lucky if I get a 1/4 oz!!
spunkymom
spunkymom

http://glutenfreefantasy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AvarraClover Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am

I know the recommended for frozen BM is 24 hours after thawing. However, I have used it up to 2-3 days later. As long as it smells okay then it is okay to give to you child.
AvarraClover
AvarraClover

Back to top Go down

Post by Bekki&Evelyn Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Most of the donations I have received have been in Lansinoh bags. In my experience, it's not the amount in the bags that causes them to break - it could be from getting poked by sharp corners of other bags in the freezer.

One of our donor moms put 9oz in each Lansinoh bag and we never had a leak. On the other hand, I've had many 6oz bags leak on me. Sad

Honestly, I have come to prefer the 6oz bags because it makes thawing easier. There have been times when I forget to take milk out at night, and find myself with a hungry baby and nothing but frozen milk. I can thaw a 6oz bag in a tub of cold water in about 30 minutes - it takes a larger bag much longer.

Recipient moms should replace, or remiburse your bags, so I wouldn't worry too much about how many bags you're using.

Hope that helps!
Bekki&Evelyn
Bekki&Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post by myblueeyedbabies Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm

I've recently received about 40 lansinoh bags with 12 oz in each and less than half were busted. In our case it was mostly because the donor moms freezer was overflowing and they would fall out when she opened the door. But I've always put each bag into a ziplock when I get it in my freezer, anyway, just incase!
myblueeyedbabies
myblueeyedbabies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down