MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donate Colostrum?

+4
difashion
cmarino79
msucollin
Dream610
8 posters

Go down

Donate Colostrum? Empty Donate Colostrum?

Post by Dream610 Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I was wondering if there was any need for the colostrum?
I am just starting to pump and build a supply, but right now all I'm pumping is a lot of colostrum. I would hate to waste it.

Dream610

Back to top Go down

Donate Colostrum? Empty Re: Donate Colostrum?

Post by msucollin Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 pm

I've seen a lot of people looking for it from time to time. They told me in the NICU it was way better than formula. I'm sure you could donate it!!

msucollin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dream610 Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Good to hear.
Idk how much is "normal" to produce, but I feel like I am pumping out a lot of it.

Dream610

Back to top Go down

Post by cmarino79 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Usually women only pump colostrum in small amounts...babies only eat a tiny bit in the first day or two...that is awesome that you are able to pump a lot Smile You will definitely find a taker for that liquid gold! Most likely an adoptive mom or a mom who is due soon and knows she will need to supplement for whatever reason! What a gift!
cmarino79
cmarino79

Back to top Go down

Post by difashion Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Do you have the Colostrum to donate still? I am an adoptive mom and my son is going to be born at the beginning of October and could have it for him in my deep freeze...I know it is sooo hard to come by but has such good immunities in it for babies....please let me know....

you can email me at difashion@yahoo.com

thanks so much for even considering it! -Deanna

difashion

Back to top Go down

Post by scoresone2002 Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 pm

You can also collect colostrum prior to delivery via hand expression. There are very small containers called snappies that are designed just for this purpose. I did this and froze it just in case there were unexpected problems with delivery.

scoresone2002

Back to top Go down

Post by bhtimm Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:44 am

I was able to collect a small amount prenatally, which in my case was so good because I have IGT. I got about 2 teaspoons worth, which is great because babies need as little as 2-3 teaspoons in their first 24hrs. My daughter was starting to get hungrier after that 2 teaspoons was gone, but then later on that day we were able to go home and use the donor milk (which was transitional milk!) to feed her through the SNS.

Medela now sells colostrum containers which are designed to collect the small amounts of colostrum. They used to only be available to lactation consultants, but now to the general public: http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Colostrum-Collection-Storage-Containers/dp/B0037AO664/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315053756&sr=8-1

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

Post by kathy.rosegarden Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 am

I also have IGT and hand expressed colostrum the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy. I collected 3 ounces and it perked my newborn right up. Our first donor also sent us several bags of colostrum and was I ever delighted to have it! It is wonderful that you have so much!
kathy.rosegarden
kathy.rosegarden

Back to top Go down

Post by greatfulmom Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Im expecting my baby on November 10th but because of my health issues I can't breastfeed at all. I think your colostrum can help my baby a lot. I live in Colorado.

greatfulmom

greatfulmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down