MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs

4 posters

Go down

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs Empty does your daughter still need expressed breast milk?

Post by shree Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

hi,
I had a baby in october '09, i have about 25 ounces of frozen breast milk pumped in november '09. iam moving out of state in 4 days, if you still need it and are ready to pick it up, would be more than happy to give it to you. i live in portland, or.
shree

shree

Back to top Go down

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs Empty Can probably help in just a few weeks

Post by phtogek Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Cynthia--
I have not yet had my baby but will be delivering early in March. While I'm already lactating somewhat, I don't think I would be able to pump just yet, though I can ask my OB what she thinks. With my son, I had oversupply issues so I should easily be able to produce enough for both your daughter and my newborn. I live just south of Portland. What are your thoughts?

phtogek

Back to top Go down

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs Empty Re: looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs

Post by cgoodmojab Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you so much for considering sharing your milk with Delara', Mindy. Unfortunately, we can't afford shipping, so donors need to be within driving distance.

Gratefully,

Cynthia

cgoodmojab

Back to top Go down

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs Empty Re: looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs

Post by mindyvan Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Cynthia-
Your story is heart-breaking and amazing all at the same time. I can't imagine telling my 2 year-old that there is no more milk Sad I have 90 ounces of frozen milk that is approximately 1 year old. It is double-bagged in the back of my freezer. I have a newborn, so I am no longer in need of the older milk. I'm not sure if you are interested in milk that old or not? If you are, you are welcome to it Smile We live in Northern California (Gridley)- also a stretch from where you are in Oregon, so I'm not sure if it is worth it to you. Just let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you- Mindy

mindyvan

Back to top Go down

looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs Empty looking for donor milk for adopted daughter with special needs

Post by cgoodmojab Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Dear donor mothers:

Whether you offer your milk to my daughter or not, thank you for wanting to help a little one in need.

I am looking for donor milk for my adopted daughter. She now has no steady milk donors and her supply of donor milk is dangerously low. The impact of her traumatic start in life is increasingly evident. Only four pounds at birth, she's coped with extended hospitalization, institutional neglect in an Iranian orphanage, severe malnutrition, severe allergy to formula (which she was forced to consume for her first year of life), surgery at six months, almost no human milk for her first year of life, and gastrointestinal bleeding when not having human milk. Recent evaluations have shown neurodevelopmental and musculoskeletal challenges including torticollis, asymmetric carriage of her arms (possibly due to the after-effects of mild Erb's palsy), hearing loss in one ear, and significant developmental delay of expressive speech with a suspected diagnosis of childhood apraxia of speech. Her speech therapist referred her for yet another evaluation for sensory integration dysfunction. Sure enough, she does have sensory integration dysfunction, which is affecting her systemically and, particularly, is preventing her from using her mouth in the usual way--impacting her ability to speak (in addition to the impact of motor-planning problems), likely explaining her very late start on solids and her difficulty consuming enough table foods and drinks to not need the contribution of human milk, and likely explaining, in part, her difficulty learning to breastfeed after being bottle-fed in the orphanage. When she doesn't have enough human milk, she is much more vulnerable to illness. I have no doubt that donor milk has prevented two hospitalizations from dehydration during illness. She continues to require a great deal of night time mothering, which is when she wants human milk the most and which is when she is least emotionally capable of being told "no--there is no more milk to give you." Her traumatic start in life has left her with little tolerance for frustration, especially when she is tired. I have no doubt that she knows what she needs--and that is continued human milk. But, it's again only a matter of time before I will not have milk to give her. At the age of two, it is so very, very hard to find donor milk for her. I am still pumping around the clock, but I only produce about 2 ounces each day for her. It is so very, very frustrating.

We are so low on milk for Delara' that I've had to dilute it and ration it this week, all while trying to get her to eat and drink more table foods and drinks, which she just can't do as efficiently as other toddlers because of the sensory integration issues she has in her mouth. She has been just miserable this week, crying like her heart is broken when I've told her she can't have more milk right now. Given all of her special needs, searching for donor milk for her is an ongoing effort. So even if you read this post once it is quite dated, please consider contacting me to see if she needs more milk. The answer is likely to be yes! We live near Portland, Oregon. But, my husband has driven as far north as Seattle and as far south as Eugene to pick up donor milk.

On behalf of Delara', thank you so very much,

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS, IBCLC, RLC, CATSM
Clinical Counselor
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Adoptive mother
www.lifecirclecc.com

cgoodmojab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down