MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple of questions before I start donating

2 posters

Go down

Couple of questions before I start donating Empty Couple of questions before I start donating

Post by margaret_roth Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:35 am

Hi everyone!

I just signed up here- I got to donate 30 oz to a friend of a friend and it seriously felt SO good to make sure that a baby was going to get "mama milk" instead of formula that my friend suggested I sign up here. :-)

So I have a few questions:

How much is a reasonable donation? I don't think I can do something where I can be someone's sole source of milk, but could donate 30oz or so every month, month and 1/2. Is this normal? is this an OK thing to specify?

Another question- I'm on an inhaler for asthma, however, I rarely use it as since i got pregnant, my asthma has YET to flare up severely. I think i've used it once, maybe twice post partum.... should I basically start from scratch as far as building a "to donate" stash and just make sure its not pumped on a date that I used my inhaler? (my doc said it was ok for me to use it while nursing).

On that note- what happens if i've got a regular person that i'm donating to and I catch a cold?

I was tested for STD's and such when I got pregnant because I was going to have a water birth. (didn't happen but that's another story for another forum) would this test still be ok? I've only ever had one partner (my husband). Would I have to get another test? or is that one of those things where its dependent on the person i'd be donating to. I'd be more than happy to share a copy of my test results with anyone who'd i'd be donating to.

Ok that's it for now!!

Margaret

Last edited by margaret_roth on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had another question i wanted to ask :-))
margaret_roth
margaret_roth

Back to top Go down

Couple of questions before I start donating Empty Re: Couple of questions before I start donating

Post by BearyBlessed Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Margaret! It's wonderful that you are considering this.

I have gotten donations as small as 25 ounces and as big as 1000. I'm sure it will be different for each mama. For me, especially if it's local, I'm willing to do small amounts. I had a couple consistent donors for a while and that was really nice. If you want to find one mom to work with, then the two of you could work out the specifics of how much and how often.

Personally, I'm not too worried about medications as long as they are considered safe for breastfeeding. But, I have a healthy older baby. If someone is getting milk for a preemie or sick baby, they might be more careful. I probably would see if there's someone that would take the milk you currently have and then just start marking them when you use your inhaler so that the mama could choose.
The same would go for a cold, I think. Just mark the milk and let the mama decide.

I have been fine with tests run at the beginning of pregnancy, but that may be different with each mama.

Good luck! I hope you have more great experiences with donating. I know it has been such a blessing for me and my little guy.

BearyBlessed

Back to top Go down