MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scared to Donate

+3
brilar
Kyra
funkelt
7 posters

Go down

Scared to Donate Empty Scared to Donate

Post by funkelt Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:21 am

I have been a regular blood donor since I was old enough and Ive got the spiffy organ donor sticker on my ID so when I started breastfeeding and discovered I have an abundant supply I was willing to donate that too; after all, why not donate to someone in need when Id just be throwing it away otherwise? However, every person who has contacted me so far has been shady at best and after reading all these warnings on here about scammers I am beginning to think donating is not such a good idea after all. My family is not supportive of my decision to donate and getting ripped off or encountering some shady old guy when im expecting a mom and her baby is not going to help but I feel like if I ask a recipient a lot of questions or ask to meet their child that I may come off as weird. Any advice from successful donors? Thanks in advance!

funkelt

Back to top Go down

Scared to Donate Empty Re: Scared to Donate

Post by Kyra Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:53 am

Hi. I just started donating and use the Facebook site "Human milk 4 human babies". I met a wonderful mom and her 7 month old baby and they went home with over 300 oz of milk from my freezer. I have room to buy ice cream now! She was really appreciative and brought me a box of replacement bags so I can continue to do this. I was hesitant too at first so I make sure to set a time to invite recipients over when my husband is around too. Safety first! Oh, and there is also a national milk bank if you want more protection and at least a few local hospitals that collect, too. Good luck!

Kyra

Back to top Go down

Post by brilar Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Be careful of national milk banks! Many actually are for profit. National Milk Bank and Milk'in Momas are examples. if they are associated with Prolacta in anyway, this is for profit.
brilar
brilar

Back to top Go down

Post by CentralNJmom Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for the tip. I liked the human milk 4 human babies tonight in my state. I'm a little nervous about donating, too, but it seems like such a shame to throw out all that milk! The facebook page is not private, and I'll have to post my profile for people to PM me. Have you found that it is generally safe?

CentralNJmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Baltodonor Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 pm

I had set up to donate frozen milk and so far the person is a no-show. I suspect it was a scam. Hopefully they won't try to rob us-my German Shepherd doesn't like strangers, nor does my armed federal agent husband! Anyway, if I were looking for a donor I would have no problem if you wanted to meet my baby. In fact, this is why I suspect a scam-I gently said I'd love to meet the baby and suddenly "she" vanished!

Baltodonor

Back to top Go down

Post by GraftedLove Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:02 pm

As a recipient I get nervous when someone asks to meet the baby. I am so much more vulnerable when she is with me. We are just as scared as you are. I have no problem bringing & giving pictures. It's also hard to manage baby & an ice chest. I usually try to have my mom ride with me so she & baby can stay in the car while I kinda scope things out. If all is good (and it's never been bad) then I invite the donor to come to the car to meet baby. But if someone asks before we meet, I get nervous.

GraftedLove

Back to top Go down

Post by audreysmomm Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm thinking about donating also. My thought was to meet up somewhere very public and just do a swap. It is a shame that something so good has it's dark side too. I hope you can find a way to donate that makes you comfortable. Good luck.

audreysmomm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down