MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how long can BM be frozen for?

4 posters

Go down

how long can BM be frozen for? Empty how long can BM be frozen for?

Post by cheyennelorraine Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi I am a donor and i have about 500-600 ounces frozen in my freezer every 2 weeks. i have a very large volume of BM and pump every 3 hours to feed my 6 week old. im wondering how long can you freeze it for in a double fridge. one side being the freezer. i ask becuase i dont save any of my frozen milk becuase i pump so much i always have fresh BM to give her but i think i might want to keep a little as a back up. And aslo how do you know if the milk is bad? thanks to all who answer! (also, probably a dumb question but how do you know if its a deep freezer? are any 1/2 fridge 1/2 freezer fridges deep freezers?)

Last edited by cheyennelorraine on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

cheyennelorraine

Back to top Go down

how long can BM be frozen for? Empty Re: how long can BM be frozen for?

Post by veggiegymrat Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Three months in a standard freezer, six months in a deep freezer. Though some people say you can use it for up to 12 months in a deep freeze. Trust me, you can tell when the milk is bad. It smells sour-it's very noticeable. Good BM has little to no smell.

HTH! Smile
veggiegymrat
veggiegymrat

Back to top Go down

Post by jburth7 Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm

In a fridge freezer, 3 months is typical. A deep freeze is a stand alone freezer, not combined with a fridge. It can be frozen up to 12 months in a deep freeze.

jburth7

Back to top Go down

Post by g8ratc Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:57 pm

And bad milk is bad milk. Mine didn't really smell bad, but the baby was PEEVED that I was giving it to him! Then I smelled it, which led to tasting it. yuk! you will know. If you want to extend the life of your milk store it in the bottom back of the freezer, as far away from an ice outlet, the door or the top of the freezer. Good luck!

g8ratc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down