MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experienced shippers please weigh in!

4 posters

Go down

Experienced shippers please weigh in! Empty Experienced shippers please weigh in!

Post by mcthom Thu May 06, 2010 11:29 am

I've been reading about shipping. I'd like to find the best way to ship, as in 1. as easy as possible for our donor and 2. protecting the milk. I've read about the various coolers but if you have an opinion about dry ice vs gel packs, RNC temp controlled boxes vs coolers, and the best way to ship between FedEx, UPS, and USPS, I would appreciate it. Overnight shipping is out of our budget. I like the idea of the boxes, as it seems like they would be the most convenient for a donor but I do not know if they keep the milk as cold.

Thoughts appreciated!

Thank you!

mcthom

Back to top Go down

Experienced shippers please weigh in! Empty Re: Experienced shippers please weigh in!

Post by veggiegymrat Thu May 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, here's the thing about the boxes-they are pricey, so you would hope to be able to use them more than once. But that's just not the case-the boxes themselves are way too flimsy. The interior insulation can be used again provided you find another box the exact size to put it in. So, if you're willing to spend $30 on a box that you can likely only use once, then I say go for it because they really do keep the milk frozen on 2 day shipments (now that it's hotter, I can't comment on that, but a month ago, they did). You just have to make sure your donor does EVERYTHING exactly as the instructions state for the box. Forgetting one step and your box will arrive mushy and you'll have alot of ruined milk.

For shipping, I've found that if you are getting the donation from either your state or a state that borders yours, Fedex is cheapest. Open an account with them and you get 15% off all your shipments. If you're getting a donation from further away (I am in AZ and got a donation from Maine), then the post office is cheapest-but you have to get overnight shipping as Priority is the next step down and isn't guaranteed in 2 days-only 3.

Also, if you're doing 2-day, I would recommend dry ice. If you're doing overnight, gel packs, like the ones that come with your RNC box, work just fine.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
veggiegymrat
veggiegymrat

Back to top Go down

Experienced shippers please weigh in! Empty Re: Experienced shippers please weigh in!

Post by laura_mae99 Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 pm

i have donated to over 15 diffrent familys between my 2 children and plan on donating again with my 3rd, that i am pregnant with know. I shipped alot, and i have to say that for us shipping we used styrfoam colors and i froze the milk flat in the freeze so when i shipped them i could stack them next to each other and they where able to keep cold that way. We never used and ice or anything else... and we did (( most times to my on going families )) from NY to IN over night... once or twice there was a couple bags that where melting... but nothing bad. But USPS is the best way to go if u are looking to save money!!! OVER NIGHT!!! the 2-day is ok but u are goign to end up with more melted stuff and u need the dry ice... but the dry ice will weight it down and in the long run will be more money... I hope that helps
here some photos of when i shipped and the colors we used...
Experienced shippers please weigh in! Post_110
laura_mae99
laura_mae99

http:// http://www.modernmilksharing.com/          http:// http:

Back to top Go down

Post by mcthom Mon May 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the help. I really have to decide what to do - fast! What size cooler is that and how much milk did it hold?

Thanks again!

mcthom

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolerTaylor Tue May 11, 2010 10:17 am

veggiegymrat wrote:Well, here's the thing about the boxes-they are pricey, so you would hope to be able to use them more than once. But that's just not the case-the boxes themselves are way too flimsy. The interior insulation can be used again provided you find another box the exact size to put it in. So, if you're willing to spend $30 on a box that you can likely only use once, then I say go for it because they really do keep the milk frozen on 2 day shipments (now that it's hotter, I can't comment on that, but a month ago, they did).

We are currently taking steps to change this issue so that the boxes can be used many times. Please refer to the topic below to see more detailed answers:
Taylor with R.N.C. Industries
CoolerTaylor
CoolerTaylor

http://r-n-c-industries.amazonwebstore.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum