MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how many oz per bag??

3 posters

Go down

how many oz per bag?? Empty how many oz per bag??

Post by blessed4x Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm new at this and was wondering how many ounces do most of you put in a bag? So far I have been putting 4 oz per bag figuring if it heppens to go to a newborn or sick baby.4 oz is best. I realize this causes me to use more bags then would be needed but seems to make the most sense to me.

blessed4x

Back to top Go down

how many oz per bag?? Empty Re: how many oz per bag??

Post by Jaz Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I used the Lansinoh bags when I was donating. the lines only went up to six but I could fit over 13oz in each bag (note - while you can get that much in there, I don't suggest it). I usually froze 10-11 oz in each bag - even if the milk would be going to a newborn or bitty baby, the recipient parent would just thaw a bag and decant the bag into 2-3 or however many bottles with the portion sizes they like.

Basically, I think it depends on your recipient. I was told by some of my recipients that they liked the bigger bags for shipping as a shipment of milk frozen in 8-11 oz bags was much slower to thaw as there was less surface area than a similar shipment of bags with only 4-5 oz in. The thinner bags softened much faster and went liquid much much faster than big fat bags.

Also, if the recipient baby is being entirely fed with donor milk or even only a third fed with donor milk, one big bag would be enough for a day's or less than a day's feeding. If the mom was only supplementing with 5oz a day, then it's two days feed. Still doable with no loss of quality in my experience. I've been using my own frozen milk to bottle feed to my daughter and my experience is that the thawed milk is good more than 24 hours in the fridge. I also return unfinished bottles to the fridge between feeding with no issues. Please note - my daughter is a year now and has no health issues - preemie parents or parents of sick babies would probably not do this. I've also been bottle feeding fresh and frozen milk for a very long time so I don't adhere to the 'guidelines' as they are overly strict and don't represent my real-world experiences.
Jaz
Jaz

Back to top Go down

Post by laura_mae99 Sun May 09, 2010 12:21 pm

i lay mine flat when i freeze them cus they are easy to ship and store that way. so the most i will put in mine are 6-8 oz of the bigger bags... heres a photo here to give ya an idea of some milk i shipped out... 4 0z is really good cus if u don't have a donor in mind or in line thats about what a new born eats... but i do it to what ever person i am donating to... (( and i try to get on going families to donate to... )) so the moms will let me know what works for them... they will just pm me telling me the baby is eatting more like 6 oz or 5... and i freeze it that way. but i never put more then 6-8 oz in a bag cus i had proublems with the bags leaking for one...
how many oz per bag?? Post_112
laura_mae99
laura_mae99

http:// http://www.modernmilksharing.com/          http:// http:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum