MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ?

3 posters

Go down

Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ? Empty Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ?

Post by IzzeFloch Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:20 am

Wondering if anyone knows why some milk tends to separate and if this means anything?

I have had this happen frequently, different donors, different dates. The milk appears curdled, or like it's leaving soap-flecks on the sides of the bottle. This happens even as I'm thawing it in cold water, before and after I gently shake it to mix separated parts, and after it's been heated as well. It's a very distinct look, not subtle.

The milk smells fine, a little soapy as usual from the fats, but no definite sour or other odor. I do notice that my daughter tends to reject the "separated" milk after a few hours more than she would the other milk. (This is if she doesn't finish the whole bottle, I offer her the balance an hour or so later).

Thanks for any thoughts.
IzzeFloch
IzzeFloch

Back to top Go down

Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ? Empty Re: Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ?

Post by meghanmcbee Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 am

It's just the fat in the milk, totally normal.

meghanmcbee

Back to top Go down

Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ? Empty Re: Separation of milk (curdled appearance) ?

Post by juro Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm

I know what you mean by the "soap-flecks" sometimes when I'm pumping fresh milk it does that. All of my milk seperates after so long...it's just the fat rising to the top or cream as they would call it in Cow's Milk. And sometimes I get a soapy smell to my milk. The La Leche League said its just a enzyme in my milk, Liapse I think they called it. Totally normal. And I'm sure what we eat has got to have something to do with it some how or another. I also read that if your milk does get a soapy smell and some babies do not accept milk with high Liapse, you can sit the milk in water that has been boiled (int he bottle of course) and let it heat to steaming and I guess it cuts down the Liapse or something of that nature. Google it and you'll find something on it I did a while back when I started noticing the soap smell.

juro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down