MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heating and Reheating BM

+3
heggie
skmbuket
Crunchymamainma
7 posters

Go down

Heating and Reheating BM Empty Heating and Reheating BM

Post by Crunchymamainma Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:13 pm

I am new to using Donor Milk...A BIG thank you to our 2 milk Mamas!!

Some of the bags I have, have upto 10 oz in them. My son will only use 2-3 oz at a time. So, I thaw in the fridge or in cool water...and put 3-4 oz in his bottle, warm that, adn nurse him. Sometimes he will only take an oz or so though...I then put the milk back in the fridge..and take it out the next feeding...and it continues LOL!
Sometimes it will take him all stinkin day to take that 3-4 ounces. I am using an SNS feeding system of some sort LOL! It's the starter set up..so nipple type top with tubing. He is slowly getting used to this..he has been a strict BF baby since birth, but with the new pregnancy so soon..I have already started loosing my milk..I make MAYBE 20% of his needs. He went from 1-2 wet diapers per day and 1 poop ever 4-5 days, to 5-6 wet diapers and 1 poop per day!!!!! I knew that my milk was suffering, however I didnt' know howbad it really was, until I started to give him donor milk.

SOO..long story short...how many times can the milk really be warmed up without loosing nutritional value??

Thanks,

Kim

Crunchymamainma

Back to top Go down

Heating and Reheating BM Empty Re: Heating and Reheating BM

Post by skmbuket Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm withdrawing this post. I would agree breastmilk is not going to spoil as quickly as formula and an SNS is different than a bottle, just think you should use some caution heating and reheating and offering the same milk all day.

Last edited by skmbuket on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

skmbuket

Back to top Go down

Post by Crunchymamainma Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Hmmm..that stinks!! I would hate to toss any of the milk!

Crunchymamainma

Back to top Go down

Post by Crunchymamainma Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 am

I was thinking about this last night..since We use a feeding tube (SNS), his saliva never touches the milk, therefore there would be no contamination. Right? I don't want him to get sick from contaminated milk, however, I also know how hard Donor Mamas work and how hard it is to find milk! For me to toss milk isn't all that easy!

~Kim

Crunchymamainma

Back to top Go down

Post by heggie Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 pm

My husband puts 1 oz at a time in the bottle and reheats until it's finished (some days it's a couple of hours). If DS is still hungry, he just heats more. (he has done this with both boys) As they got older he was less careful about the 1-hour rule and we have never had a problem. Could you start with a smaller amount? (I'm not familiar with the SNS at all). Keep up the good work! Smile
heggie
heggie

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzeFloch Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm

My LC told me we could re-use milk once. We wash the nipple and put back in the 'fridge. I'm not sure about reheating, as I know you aren't supposed to reheat, but I have read many places that you can offer the milk again once.
IzzeFloch
IzzeFloch

Back to top Go down

Post by jburth7 Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 pm

I also typically re-heat the milk only once. I use a lact-aid system which is similar to the SNS and same thing, there's no saliva contamination. I just heard that heating and re-heating can spoil the milk? Will your little one take the supplement cold? It does warm up some as it passes by your skin, so you could try cold supplement.. then you could use the same SNS all day and not worry.

jburth7

Back to top Go down

Post by gringota Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I agree with jburth7. I also use a lact-aid and just take it out of the fridge and use it cold. I'll use the same one for more than one feeding, and either put a new tube in, or just rinse off. This is my second baby and I've never had a problem, and I've never ever heated the milk. Only time I heat is when I'm in a pickle with defrosting frozen milk and I'll defrost in hot water. Otherwise I defrost in the fridge. Good luck!

gringota

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacqui Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm

skmbuket wrote:I'm not sure about nutritional value, but once your little one's saliva has mixed with the milk, we teach parents to throw away the milk after an hour to prevent bacteria growth(I am a PP nurse).

I am studying to be IBCLC and doing my clinical through NBCI (Jack Newman) and WE tell mums that just put the breastmilk back in the fridge and reuse it - so as not to waste the breastmilk - as breastmilk has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties, not much of a worry about bacteria growth as long as it isn't out sitting in the sun and spoiled (just like any milk) - you would smell that. We also encourage mums to taste the breastmilk before using - so they can tell if it has gone bad (even frozen milk can go off).

Now if this is formula, yes throw it out - as formula can grow bacteria after an hour or so....huge difference of course between the two.

Nutritionally breastmilk is ALWAYS better then something that has come out of a lab but that is obvious.

Jacqui

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacqui Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Crunchymamainma wrote:I was thinking about this last night..since We use a feeding tube (SNS), his saliva never touches the milk, therefore there would be no contamination. Right? I don't want him to get sick from contaminated milk, however, I also know how hard Donor Mamas work and how hard it is to find milk! For me to toss milk isn't all that easy!

~Kim

Kim - you are right - please see my earlier post - good luck!

Jacqui

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down