MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milk from mom on zoloft

4 posters

Go down

Milk from mom on zoloft Empty Milk from mom on zoloft

Post by kellyjmeyer Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:35 pm

We have been using donor milk for my almost 3 month old son for 2 months now and so far the donors that we have uses have not been on any type of medication other than vitamins and reglan. I am on domperidone so the reglan didn't bother me. We have an offer from someone locally for 100 oz but that mom is on zoloft for ppd. I guess I am wondering is it worth the risk?? I know it is kind of a personal choice but, I feel like I shouldn't say no, you know Smile

Thanks for any input!

Kelly

kellyjmeyer

Back to top Go down

Milk from mom on zoloft Empty Re: Milk from mom on zoloft

Post by cmarino79 Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am

Well, I have a good friend...actually my SIL who pumped for my son in his first few weeks of life...her generosity got me through one of the most difficult experiences of my life, the first few weeks of struggling to BF my son after finding out about his tongue tie. I later found out she was on Zoloft...I think she thought I knew. I was a little freaked out at first, but after my research and learning that Zoloft is the most recommended AD for BF'ing moms due to its low transfer rate I felt relieved. It would obviously not be my first choice, but if it were between that and formula I would definitely choose the donor milk. There haven't been enough studies done on AD and the long term effects on the brain development of nursing babies but the benefits of BM are so enormous I highly doubt the risks outweigh the benefits. I personally feel a donation from a mother on a low - moderate dose of Zoloft is a better choice than formula, and think it's a shame nursing mothers who struggle with depression or PPD are often told to wean or not BF at all if they are on an AD. I have some of my SIL's milk in the deep freeze for when my son is a bit closer in age to her daughter and plan to use it. Also, 100 oz isn't a ton of milk when you look at the big picture...my son only used about that much of my SIL's milk as well...I would of been more concerned if my son was using donor milk from a mom on Zoloft on a long term basis. It is a very personal choice though...and one I did struggle with, good luck!
cmarino79
cmarino79

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecandi Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:58 pm

What is the dose?
bluecandi
bluecandi

Back to top Go down

Post by heatherface518 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 am

I am on 50 mg Zoloft/daily and I am breastfeeding. I was told that it was extremely unlikely for the Zoloft to affect my baby in any way. It hasn't. She's very healthy and growing like crazy.

heatherface518

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecandi Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:31 pm

That is a very low dose. They give it to pregnant mamas all the time (at least they used to....do they still?)
Anyway, I would be comfortable taking milk from a mama on zoloft. Smile
bluecandi
bluecandi

Back to top Go down

Post by heatherface518 Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Before I was pregnant, I was on 100mg but I weaned myself off of it. They said I could stay on a low dose if I needed to but I decided to take myself off.. it was a struggle and my think my poor husband got the worst of it! He lived Razz Anyway, the BF lady at the hospital told me it was ok to go back on it so I did. If you need or you know anyone that needs milk... I have extra that I can't donate to a "real" place because of the zoloft!

heatherface518

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down