MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

donation breast milk - age of baby?

4 posters

Go down

donation breast milk - age of baby? Empty donation breast milk - age of baby?

Post by Dylans_Mommy Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I have a local donor who's offering me her leftover milk in her deep freeze. She pumped it in August/September of 2010 when her daughter was just turning 1 and being weaned. Are there guidelines for the age of the child that milk is okay for? For example, would it be okay to feed the milk to a 6 month old? I tried to google search and couldn't find anything about this, but I do know your milk changes with babies age and needs.

Dylans_Mommy

Back to top Go down

donation breast milk - age of baby? Empty Yes, it's ok!

Post by krnolan89 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

If you are receiving donated milk for you child, it is nice to seek out milk that is most closely "aged" with your child's age. For example, if your child is 2 months old, you would ideally find milk that was pumped and stored at a time when that mother's child was 0-3 months of age. In the early days, colostrum and higher fat milk can sometimes be more difficult to find. Even if the age of the babies varies greatly, it is almost certain that more "mature" breastmilk is still far healthier for a young baby than formula would be. Your pediatrician will likely tell you that maturity of the milk is a fairly insignificant factor. If you pediatrician is not supportive of breastfeeding in general, shop around because there are many out there who are.

**This is directly from the MilkShare website, under Store and Ship, the Age Appropriate.

krnolan89

Back to top Go down

donation breast milk - age of baby? Empty Re: donation breast milk - age of baby?

Post by Alaineoconnor Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 am

What about the other way around? I'm looking for milk for my older daughter and I have only been able to find younger milk. Younger by quite a bit most often. At least a year, sometimes more. I also have had trouble finding information specific to this.

Alaineoconnor

Back to top Go down

donation breast milk - age of baby? Empty Re: donation breast milk - age of baby?

Post by cmarino79 Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I think the same information applies both ways. Milk most closely aged to your baby is ideal but younger milk for an older baby would still be healthier than formula Smile
cmarino79
cmarino79

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down