MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can anyone help me with the smell of the milk

5 posters

Go down

can anyone help me with the smell of the milk Empty can anyone help me with the smell of the milk

Post by neocleo Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

hi- I would like some help on deciding what is good milk vs. what milk is no longer good. sometimes when the milk defrosts it has no smell at all and sometimes it had a metalic or fishy smell?? I am so confused on what smell is good bad or indifferent. everyone says you will know and I assume that is the fishy or metallic ones but is that the case?? thanks so much- any help is appreciated:)
sarah
neocleo
neocleo

Back to top Go down

can anyone help me with the smell of the milk Empty Re: can anyone help me with the smell of the milk

Post by jburth7 Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Typically milk has only gone "bad" if it smells sour. Any other smell is likely the enzymes in the milk. Many people have milk with high lipase content in it which can smell or taste bad after defrosting.

If you are following the typical freezing milk guidelines, I wouldn't worry about how your milk smells at all.

jburth7

Back to top Go down

can anyone help me with the smell of the milk Empty Re: can anyone help me with the smell of the milk

Post by neocleo Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:06 pm

what is exactly smelling sour?? could the metallic or fishy smell be the high lipase?? I don't want to toss good milk of course
neocleo
neocleo

Back to top Go down

Post by heggie Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm

The one time I had milk turn sour ( too long in the fridge) it smelled like sour cow milk mixed with old spitup. HTH
heggie
heggie

Back to top Go down

Post by neocleo Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm

oooh that sound appealing..lol.. thanks- I think I am starting to get a hang of the smelling good bad milk-Smile
neocleo
neocleo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaz Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Yeah, basically bad milk smells like bad milk - cow or human. Now some children won't drink milk with high lipase activity, others will. Sometimes you can hide it in other milk to render it palatable. Smelling odd is ok, I'm pretty sure you'll know without a doubt when milk has gone bad and has soured.
Jaz
Jaz

Back to top Go down

Post by myblueeyedbabies Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:32 pm

I had a batch of milk with high lipase activity and my DD would not drink it. But I gave it to a neighbor who is also looking for breastmilk and her son took it just fine. I can mix it with formula or an oz of juice and she'll take some. She's super picky though anyway. But sour milk smells like sour milk. You would know for sure.
myblueeyedbabies
myblueeyedbabies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down