MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV)

2 posters

Go down

Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV) Empty Re: Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV)

Post by RealMylk Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

I've since PM'd you. But, here is an update:

Today was the day we realized that our DD was going through a growth spurt! She is 6 weeks old (7 tomorrow), and she is guzzling down BM so fast that the SNS is not helping. It's too slow for her and she cries! It's not easy trying to calm her down so she could eat. I didn't realize a growth spurt could mean eating every hour... and for a week or two... I had no idea!

My supply hasn't caught up and much less with such great demand.

We have come to the realization that this growth spurt means that out current donated breast milk supply will last half as long as what we expected... I think we will accept any/every milk since more growth spurts are expected.

RealMylk

Back to top Go down

Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV) Empty Re: Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV)

Post by RealMylk Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi WJD2009.

I would love to have more breast milk.
However, I did secure about a 3-week supply and expect to receive more from the donor (for an unknown amount of time). Baby is doing well on it.

So, there may be someone else in more need who hasn't secured BM. And it would only be nice to allow them the opportunity. If you don't find someone, I would gladly accept it since I would love our DD to try vegetarian-made breast milk to see if I notice a difference in her. She already seems "happier" since the donated BM. I'd like to think it's being off formula that's had a positive impact on her! BTW, by Sept we will be traveling to MD area every Saturday.

More details about our latest findings:
I am waiting for my milk supply to go up and today we realized I am supplementing 25-35%... or so we hope! Because today, we bottle fed donated BM and she drank 4 whole oz! ...this, at two consecutive feedings. I usually feed 1.5 oz via SNS and she's good... so there must be lots coming from me now. I need to visit the LC to know for sure since I don't feel the let-down. It's like my milk doesn't let-down fast enough for her to feel satisfied and the SNS allows me to feed it to her "fast enough" causing her to actively suckle and get even more BM from me. If I can't let-down fast enough, I may be doing this SNS and supplemental feeding for quite some time. (I don't think pumps pump too much out of me... so I need extra, donated BM.) I obviously need to visit La Leche League or an LC after today's new findings!

Thank you for the opportunity.

[Edit/Update]: When our DD is bottle fed BM before bedtime, she can guzzle 4oz and sleeps through the night. Last night, we didn't use the bottle and just fed from the breast with SNS. She 'ate' her usual amount of supplemented BM (~1.5 oz via SNS) but didn't sleep through the night. So, I think I'm back to where we were... in that, I am supplementing more than 35% (guessing 50%)... but hey, it's less supplementation than from where we started.

Last edited by RealMylk on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited update.)

RealMylk

Back to top Go down

Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV) Empty Vegetarian mom with excess milk traveling to MD

Post by WJD2009 Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 am

Hi! Not sure if you were able to secure some donated breastmilk but I may be able to help a little bit... I'm currently a donor to the only Milk Bank in Canada. I also donate locally to a mom I found through Milk Share. My baby will be one year old in a few weeks and I have lots of milk!!! Here's how I may be able to help. I will be traveling to Baltimore the week of September 20th and will have to pump milk and I do not plan on bringing any of it back with me. I possibly could have about 30 oz per day to donate.

I know it's a weeks away and it's only temporary but let me know if you're interested. I'm vegetarian and all can provide blood tests results. Thanks!

WJD2009

Back to top Go down

Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV) Empty Vegan Mom in NoVA Seeking Breast Milk (DC/MD/PA/VA/WV)

Post by RealMylk Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi, I recently joined and am getting familiar with the forum...

About me: My milk supply is extremely low. I had no changes at my breasts during my pregnancy; but, otherwise had a healthy pregnancy. Being "into health", my low milk supply was quite a surprise to us. I have been working with a lactation consultant to get my supply up and my DH has been so supportive. I am currently reading Mother Food; an excellent book for breastfeeding mothers (listing lactogenic and anti-lactogenic foods and herbs). I hope to use donated breast milk until my supply meets demand. (I hope it works!)

I would prefer BM from a whole foods vegan/vegetarian or clean-meats/kosher omnivore. However, I am not sure I can be picky in the type of breast milk I receive since I do believe most BM is better than formula

RealMylk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down