MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reglan and domperidone

4 posters

Go down

reglan and domperidone Empty reglan and domperidone

Post by mommy2two+twins Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 pm

sorry for typos, pumpingat keyboard...

anyway, is it safe to take them at the same time? i'm getting so depressed with not producing enough i'm wanting to just throw in the towel, but know not to. i'm just wanting to do all I can to up my production, so will this be okay or should i do one, wait for it to clear my system, then try the other? i'm currently taking 3 domperidone 3 times a day along with more milk special blend and fenugreek.
mommy2two+twins
mommy2two+twins

Back to top Go down

reglan and domperidone Empty Domperidone and Reglan

Post by IzzeFloch Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Hello fellow twin mama ~

I would strongly advise against taking them together. I'm a nurse, but I'm also taking Domperidone (did you get yours from New Zealand?) and they both block the action of dopamine, as you may know, which then increases prolactin and leads to more milk production. I don't know for certain, but I imagine it's a bad idea to take two drugs that both act on the same hormones. Taking them together could be bad for the babies too. Also, Reglan has more side effects than Domperidone sometimes, and crosses the blood-brain barrier. What if you tried increasing to three tablets four times a day instead of three? And then, if after a month or so, your supply showed no increase, then stop taking and give the Reglan a try? My lactation consultant told me it sometimes takes six weeks of Domperidone to see an increase, not sure how long you've been taking it.

I KNOW how hard it is when your supply dwindles, it's very frustrating, and pumping is so time consuming... and I'm sure you've done tons of research and tried all the other tricks. (Doesn't it kill you when people say you need to get more rest to get your supply back up? How are you supposed to do that?!) I find my supply is at its highest from 5-8am and I think that's due to our circadian rhythm and prolactin being highest at that time of day. My lactation consultant also told me that "eight" is the "magic number" for pumping: that you must pump eight times in 24 hours to keep the supply up. That includes pumping after breastfeeding. So incredibly hard to do (especially with twins) but she says it makes a huge difference. When I felt like throwing in the towel I cut my pumping sessions back a bit just so I could stay sane, but I know that made my supply diminish a bit more.

Anyhow, I know you just asked about the drugs, so my two cents is you should not take them at the same time.

Good luck, hang in there...
IzzeFloch
IzzeFloch

Back to top Go down

reglan and domperidone Empty Re: reglan and domperidone

Post by Samanthavv Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 pm

I definitely WOULDN'T take them together. You never know what kind of nasty side affects they could have when mixed together!

The reglan, I've tried it and that stuff is AMAZING. I'd wait a little bit for the domperidone to work its way out (a few days to a week???) and then take reglan, but make sure your doctor knows!
Samanthavv
Samanthavv

http://www.boutique.bebebreeze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sma123mom Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Try more domperidone first. You could take as many as 15 per day. Also how much fenugreek are you taking? I've found it helps me to spread both of those out throughout the day more than is recommended. Like rather than taking five pills three times per day I would take three pills five times per day and the same for the fenugreek. So I am taking something every couple of hours atleast and sometimes more often during the evenings when my supply is lowest. Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be. I am not nursing twins, but I am nursing my 11 month old a LOT and also pumping as much "extra" milk as I can for my disabled four year old son. I can never make quite as much as I'd like for my son and pump and nurse a LOT, most days it feels like that is all I do. You certainly have my sympathy. FWIW, I hate reglan and it makes me feel twitchy and crazy so it's not worth it to me even though I am desperate for more milk. Let us all know if you find a good combination of meds/herbs that works well for you.
sma123mom
sma123mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down