MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age of Milk

5 posters

Go down

Age of Milk Empty Age of Milk

Post by zf123011 Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I am storing frozen milk for my son and am finding I am starting to get a large stockpile. I am hoping to save enough milk to feed him in case I can't continue to nurse, but I don't want any milk to go to waste. How long do I have before I need to make sure the milk gets to a good home? I keep hearing vastly different numbers - from 3 months to 1 year - as to how long the frozen milk is still good. I store the milk in the garage fridge. It has a separate door for the freezer and since there is only milk in there, it only gets opened when I add another "bag" of milk (10 5oz freezer bags put together in a ziplock baggie for stackability).

On another issue - my son has a sensitive tummy. Whenever I eat something that disagrees with him - such as broccoli or cauliflower - I don't feed him the milk I next pump to try to avoid him getting an upset stomach. Would this be something I could save for someone else's baby instead of wasting it? It just hurts me to lose a whole pumping of milk!

zf123011

Back to top Go down

Age of Milk Empty :)

Post by crystal87 Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 am

3-4 months is how long BM will stay fresh in a regular freezer. Granted, your freezer is on the highest freezing level. Hope this helps!

crystal87

Back to top Go down

Age of Milk Empty Re: Age of Milk

Post by adbaker0818 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm a donor milk recipient, and I absolutely would take milk that you were throwing out just because you've eaten cauliflower. Smile My baby doesn't seem to have any food aversions or anything. I'm sure you would find someone in your area that would take it!
adbaker0818
adbaker0818

Back to top Go down

Post by adbaker0818 Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Oh, here's a link to the official guidelines:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

So ostensibly your milk is the "best" within 3 months, but ok up to 6 months.

Unofficially, and every one should do what's the best for their own baby-family-situation, as long as it smells and tastes ok, it's probably fine. I just had some donor milk that was in the 12-13 month range kept in the bottom of a deep freezer and it was fine for us.
adbaker0818
adbaker0818

Back to top Go down

Post by 4EllaRP Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

If you have any extra to donate please let me know as well. I sent you a PM. thank you!

4EllaRP

Back to top Go down

Post by taz1669 Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 pm

if you want milk that stores longer check out milk in the mail dot com

taz1669

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down