MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this?

+3
ReachtotheStars
lyssa24
Feb2011Mom
7 posters

Go down

Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this? Empty Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this?

Post by Feb2011Mom Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:05 am

Please check out this link:
http://www.pollywogbaby.com/breastfeeding/overactiveletdownandoversupply.html

I'm particularly worried about this part:

"If you had been doing additional pumpings or taking fenugreek to increase your supply and you are certain you have oversupply you should stop additional pumpings and fenugreek immediately. Oversupply can cause or exacerbate infant acid reflux, colic and gas."

I'm sure all the donor moms here have an oversupply and we do additional pumpings... My daughter is having blackish green stool for the past 4 days and while the doctor said it is nothing to worry about (since the baby is not irritated in any way), I've been trying to find things on the web.
In another section of the same site, it says that oversupply can cause foremilk-hindmilk imbalance, which in turn can cause green stools. My baby had green stools earlier too once in a while, but not this consistently which is what worrying me. Anybody experienced anything like this?

Feb2011Mom

Back to top Go down

Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this? Empty Re: Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this?

Post by lyssa24 Tue May 03, 2011 7:07 pm

My baby had alien green stool for a little while, and my pediatrician suggested that it was probably from oversupply. We switched from feeding at both breasts to feeding at just one breast per nursing, and my milk supply went down a bit, his stools went back to normal, and I'm still able to put away/freeze (and donate) some milk. It's definitely less than before, but I also went back to work, so the ratio of pumping to nursing changed drastically too, so I think it would have dropped anyway.

He never seemed to have colic or gas that bothered him, and though he spit up a lot (and still does, even with less milk), the doctor didn't ever say it was reflux. If your baby is healthy and seems like she's doing well generally, and your doctor is okay with her health, I would say continuing to do extra pumping is okay.

lyssa24

Back to top Go down

Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this? Empty Re: Related to Oversupply - Has anyone heard about this?

Post by lyssa24 Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 pm

(But yes, pumping after feedings or doing extra pumping session tells your body to make more milk, and if you have an oversupply anyway, you might be telling it to make an excess, which could definitely cause more oversupply. My personal experience is that my baby is still healthy and happy, but you also should do what's comfortable for you!)

Also, if your screen name is an indicator of your little girl's age, your milk supply will probably even out soon anyway - I hear that's common around 3-4 months old (and then leaking diminishes or stops, and you might feel like you have too little if you're used to oversupply, your breasts feel soft whereas before they would have gotten very full in between feedings).

lyssa24

Back to top Go down

Post by ReachtotheStars Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 am

Interesting. I have an oversupply and just started pumping again. However I block feed so that my little one is not affected by my oversupply and overaxtive letdown. Block feeding has made a huge difference.
ReachtotheStars
ReachtotheStars

Back to top Go down

Post by genetix Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:27 pm

oversupply does not affec t your baby, does not cause colic...If you have fast letdown it can cause baby to choke but this can happen in people with both oversupply, regular supply, and undersupply...

genetix

Back to top Go down

Post by mcdaidwiley Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:19 pm

I have great interest in this topic and have posted at length about it. Please see ' difference in color of my breastmilk versus donor'.

My first child had bad colic, but her stools were normal in color and texture (yellow with a mustardy texture). After not sleeping for 36hr when she was approx 4 weeks, we took her to the emergency room and an X-ray showed her lower GI tract to be full of gas.....not her tummy.....her lower intestines (we were always very careful about burping in those early days). The pediatrician told us she had severe 'colic' symptoms and there was nothing really they could do. We went home demoralized but two months later, she transformed into a happy, contented baby who never again cried with that high-pitched wail of distress that could not be consoled. She was breast fed exclusively until 6 months when I began supplementing as my supply diminished dramatically. I had cluster fed at about 3 weeks post-partum as I was told one potential cause of the colic symptoms would be too much lactose (complex sugar/carb) relative to fat or protein (milk imbalance), even though I always let the baby drain the breast. I did this, coupled with eliminating dairy from my diet for the next 3 months. I believe this cluster feeding, to supposedly encourage more fatty milk, drastically reduced my supply.

Our second daughter was born 18 months ago and we were prepared to go through something similar (we subsequently discovered colic runs in both our families). My second daughter suffered even more. Her stools were perpetually green, liquidy, frothy and on really bad days mucousy. She was literally fermenting gas in the intestines. Like her big sister, she was in agony. My milk supply came in really strongly and I was nursing exclusively, but this time around on a dairy, gluten and nut free diet. After about a week, when I was loosing it trying to cope with her distress and my inability to figure out if it was related to diet, I resorted to cluster feeding, on the recommendation of a lactation consultant. I honestly do not think it changes the composition of my milk dramatically....the one thing it will absolutely do is DRAMATICALLY reduce supply. I was never able to get supply back up ...hence the need to find a donor in subsequent months when I went back to work, as I did not have enough stored milk and could only pump 12 oz per day. Once I compared my milk with my donors, I came to appreciate how little fat my milk atually had, and I have come to accept that as part of human variation. Nothing I did seemed to change the compositon. The only thing I noticed that seemed to exacerbate the colic symptoms were NUTS...CHOCOLATE...and get this....too much mothers milk tea (which I was using to try to up my supply again). Just like her big sister, our baby outgrew the symptoms at approx. 3 and a half months and has never looked back!

I did find the most wonderful article that discusses nursing and colic in babies. It is written by lactation consultants, and I have circulated it among many friends whose babies have colic-like symptoms.

http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/Lactose.pdf

Bottom line.......playing around with your supply is a dangerous thing. Does milk composition cause colic??? This answer will never be known.....to do a proper scientific study is an enormous task as there are so many variables. For sure, you diet can exacerbate a pre-existing condition...for me NUTS were out......but I personally feel in our case the colic was ultimately due to an immune immaturity / or immaturity of the GI track. That said, please read the wonderful article I have provided the link to...it may work for you!

I am very sympathetic to parents who have colicy babies....it is hard to understand unless you have experienced it yourself.

mcdaidwiley
mcdaidwiley

Back to top Go down

Post by genetix Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:12 pm

c;luster feeding does not reduce milk supply, actually some studies show it increases it, however dairy free diets do reduce it dramatically - which of course thhere's not much you can do if your baby is sensitive to the dairy proteins. Almond milk however is excellent for increasing milk supply, especially if you cant have dairy.
As far as colic - there have been numerous medical studies a bout it but no clear evidence as far as what causes it. And colic is very different than gassiness - gassiness can be helped by cutting out certain green veggies from diet like cabbage, othher greens, beans. As far as colic - nothing really helps other than growing it out. Colicky babies have normal abdominal x-rays and normal labs. If a baby has lots of gas on x-ray than by deffinition its gas, and not colic...granted does calling it one thing versus another make that make much of a difference if dietary modifications dont make a difference? no but I'm just saying.

genetix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameriguat Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 pm

I am on a diary free diet and I haven't reduced supply at all I'm pumping 12-16oz a sitting

Ameriguat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kizzymae Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Ameriguat wrote:I am on a diary free diet and I haven't reduced supply at all I'm pumping 12-16oz a sitting
Same here.

Kizzymae

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down