MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what kind of pump will be good?

4 posters

Go down

what kind of pump will be good? Empty what kind of pump will be good?

Post by sarahgreen Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm currently using a friend's Medela double ease that she only used a few times. But I'm pumping for 2 friends who need milk and I'm having a few issues that I hope a new pump could help with. For one thing, that pump is really loud, is there one that isn't as loud? I can only get milk when my daughter is latched on, but the noise seems to irritate her sometimes. Also I'd like a pump that could get the milk out faster. For the morning pump (when I have the most supply) it takes about 20 minutes to get about 6-8 oz. As the day goes on, in 20 minutes I may only get 2-3 oz. And, because I only have as long as my daughter wants to nurse, I want to maximize the time spent with the pump.

Also, is there any problem with getting one from craigslist? We don't have a lot of extra money, and I don't want the rec. to pay anything because I wouldn't want to feel like I owe them a certain amount of milk or something, you know? I figure $100-200 is worth it if it helps my experience of pumping be more enjoyable.

I just jumped into this with both feet (or breasts Laughing) because there is a true need and I care about these women and their babies, but I've never pumped prior to this experience so I need advice!

sarahgreen

Back to top Go down

what kind of pump will be good? Empty Get your pump through your insurance company

Post by mcdaidwiley Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:19 pm

I got my pump through my insurance - Empire Bue cross (NY). My ob/gyn wrote me a prescription which was faxed to the online medical supply company. They verified cover with my insurance and the whole thing (worth $300) was shipped to me asap. I have the Ameda double pump, which I love. It has different sizes to find your perfect fit and I feel it s very hygienic and easy to clean / use.
RE pumping time - I think this is dependent on your supply and ease of let down. I find it best to pump while working on the computer or to talk on the phone so I am not focusing on pumping. Ideally you want to have 2 let downs per pumping session so I turn down the speed and suction in between letdown so it is more gentle on my nipples.
mcdaidwiley
mcdaidwiley

Back to top Go down

what kind of pump will be good? Empty Re: what kind of pump will be good?

Post by africanqueen99 Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:30 pm

It's also common to produce more as you find your rhythem. I've been pumping for five weeks - started getting six ounces and now I average 15-18 ounces. The body makes milk based on supply and demand so figure out when you want to pump and then make those times happen. I also started pumping with my son latched on, but now that isn't necessary and I do it during two different nap times - I did the same while pumping after having my daughter.

You can also try the tricks to increase production - water, oatmeal, brewers yeast, etc.

africanqueen99

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuder Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:39 am

My son didn't latch well so now he just doesn't get his breastmilk from the tap at all.

I found it was easier to pump as PP said by doing so at the computer or when reading a book or talking on the phone. If I sit and do nothing but look at the pump, its like watching a pot heating up to a boil, it seems to take forever. My anxiety at it taking so long would also make things works cause I wouldn't relax.

Also play with the settings, some days I seem to do better with more suction and less speed while others it is the opposite or somewhere in between. Might need to adjust even during the same session. It takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it.

It is not recommended to buy a used 'single user' pump as you have no idea if the owner might have had an diseases and they can not be thoroughly sterilized. All of the Medela are single user. There are some pumps that are made for multiple users and those can be bought second hand and you then buy the flanges and such brand new. If you do look at a used one, go to the manufacturer's website to check if it is safe for multiple users first.

pbuder

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahgreen Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:41 pm

You've all given me such good info! Thank you! My pump only has the suction setting, not one for speed. I had a few more questions.

Mcdaidwiley: how long is it usually between let-downs while pumping? I think that would help me to wait for the second one.

africanqueen99: are you getting 15-18 in a day or at one pumping? I'm currently aiming for 16 a day, then I hope to go some more from there. I've been pumping for just about a month.

A little off- topic, but how can I get the tubing really clean? Is there some tool that can go through there? I find condensation stays near the bottle end, which doesn't seem hygenic.

sarahgreen

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuder Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:52 am

Continue to run the pump after you are done expressing to dry the condensation. Once a week, I use one of the microwave sterilizer bags on the tubes. I use my bottle sterilizer for the flanges and other parts daily.

I am considered an over producer. I use the 8oz bottles on my pump and will fill both up pretty much everytime I pumped so I was able to cut down the number of pumps pretty quickly. I pump for about 30mins three times a day (which I've been told is pretty easy schedule) and I average about 55ozs a day. I get two to three letdowns per session if I stay relaxed and don't /watch/ for it, usually 10 to 15mins apart.

My friends were lucky if they would get 4ozs total each time they pumped so had to pump pretty much as often as they would be breastfeeding, even at the four month mark.

I say this to just keep in mind, what someone else gets what be a good comparison for you. Keep track of what you produce and when you've pumped. Also make notes of your water intake, stress and health levels because those will factor in as well. I did this when I first started pumping and then before/after when I dropped the number of pumps.

Two places for more information are kellymom.com and babycenter.com has forums for pumpers.

pbuder

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahgreen Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:40 pm

wow! that is amazing! I would LOVE to be able to get that much! I'll take your advice and start keeping track of things more.

sarahgreen

Back to top Go down

Post by africanqueen99 Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 am

sarahgreen wrote:
africanqueen99: are you getting 15-18 in a day or at one pumping? I'm currently aiming for 16 a day, then I hope to go some more from there. I've been pumping for just about a month.
In a day. I only pump twice a day, though, since I'm working on limited freezer space and my recipient child isn't local.

If my early morning session doesn't produce as much as I'd like I toss some brewers yeast in my breakfast and drink twice as much water as normal to make more in the afternoon session. Then my average stays consistent.

Last edited by africanqueen99 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

africanqueen99

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahgreen Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 pm

where do you get brewers milk?

sarahgreen

Back to top Go down

Post by africanqueen99 Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Sorry, it's Brewer's Yeast (not milk) - I was multitasking and made a mistake. You can buy it at any health food store. They're yellow flakes that taste a little nutty. I toss it on my oatmeal, in my PB&J sandwiches, sprinkle on top of the bagel if it has something creamy or sticky on it, etc. FWIW, it's *the* key ingredient to the lactation cookies.

africanqueen99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down