MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

onlythebreast.com

4 posters

Go down

onlythebreast.com Empty onlythebreast.com

Post by bhtimm Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:10 pm

I am wondering if Milkshare is losing its popularity due to this site, which has turned what used to be "milksharing" into a buyer/seller market.

If you check out this site there are several national news reports, some of which report women making up to $20K from donating their excess breastmilk, buying expensive rings and other stuff with the profits, yet complaining about "these tough economic times". with the going rate being about $2/oz, we would have had to pay $20K for the 9000oz we received mainly through Milkshare donors. I am not so upset if I had to buy the milk I needed (since it is priceless IMO) because we would have been able to afford it, and the going price is still way lower than the milk banks.

It makes me livid as a former recipient. I feel even that more inadequate for not making enough milk for my daughter. Even more upsetting is the fact that most of the "buyers" are men with fetishes. One guy was actually looking for a relationship this way! (eww) Only 1 ad from a man was actually saying it was needed for a baby
I appreciate the fact that Milkshare strictly prohibits this practice.

How do the other recipient moms feel about this? I feel resentful and inadequate about the fact that I only could produce 25% of what my child needed, instead of producing milk for a profit.

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

onlythebreast.com Empty Re: onlythebreast.com

Post by WAmama Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 am

It makes me sad. I guess those moms are doing what they have to do, but there is no way our family could pay $2 per oz plus shipping. We just couldn't. So the milk rots in their freezer waiting for the highest bidder while some baby could be using it.

Not that they should feel obligated to feed the world, they shouldn't, but there are families out there who can't afford that but still do everything they can for their donor mama's

WAmama

Back to top Go down

Post by bhtimm Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 am

As far as I can see, it looks like Milkshare and the other donation sites have revived a little. I hadn't been here in a while and when I came back there were a lot of donors again. Same for HM4HB and Eats on Feets.

Another thing I thought about (which is REALLY terrible) is that anyone could decide to feed their infant formula while selling all the breastmilk they produce out of greed. Even I could have done that...and get over $7000, which outweighs the cost of formula feeding. I would never do that as I believe breastmilk is far better for my baby than formula. If I had to pay for it I would have (even if it was from a milk bank).

I still truly think I was so lucky to receive as many donations as I did. I never had to give formula, but did towards the end of my baby's 1st year on the urging of an angry doctor who said I had to wait exactly til a year to start cow's milk. DD started small amounts of formula and cow's milk (so we could stretch the breastmilk out) at 11 months. Only 3oz/day and mostly cow's milk as she hated the formula. I ended up sending the can to someone else who could use it.

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeshieMomma Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 am

I think sometimes onlythebreast can be helpful. It is extremely heartbreaking and upsetting _most_ of the time but you can occasionally find a Mom to work with you. And it can be downright nasty when perverts contact you.

If I am paying 100.00 to ship 300 ounces (which is typical), plus dry ice, plus sending coolers, and replacing bags.. I can offer that in cash to a Mom. Some Moms genuinely need the money.

I would say for every 15 moms I contact, I get one Mom who will at least consider my son and working with me.

MeeshieMomma

Back to top Go down

Post by siobhan.hannah Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 am

I can't believe this. It is so terrible that people would do this. It is a risk receiving milk like this however if there is a bad apple giving milk I would think that they would try to sell it. Don't you? Well I thank all the moms that selflessly give there hard earned milk away to us mothers who can't make enough. Thank you so very much. My three children are very grateful for your sacrifice for them.

Kindly,
Siobhan and my three little ones (5, 3.5, 5 months)

siobhan.hannah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum