MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply

5 posters

Go down

Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply Empty Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply

Post by sarahdn Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 pm

My son weaned suddenly and unexpectedly 9 days ago. He was exclusively breastfed and I never pumped except to use a manual one occasionally to relieve engorgement. At first, I hoped he was just on a strike and was pumping manually when I needed to to keep my supply up. When I realized it was permanent, I decided to donate and found a local mom who needs my milk. At this point I'm pumping just 3-4 oz. 3x/day. My son was nursing 5x/day before weaning so this is a big decrease.

Realistically, I don't think with 2 little kids demanding so much of my time that I can add any more pumping sessions. But I am hoping to increase my output to 5-6 oz. or more each time. I am drinking lots of water and taking a supplement called Lactation Blend from Vitanica 2x/day. It contains fenugreek and other herbs. I've read some posts and see that taking alfalfa can be beneficial, but how much? Also, this supplement has 25mg fenugreek per pill - should I be taking more?

My recipient has given me an electric dual pump. (Medela brand. Neither she nor I have the financial resources to purchase or rent another pump.) I've just been pumping till the milk seems to stop flowing. Should I go longer? Also, is it harder on the breasts than nursing? Is there any special care I should be taking?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered!

Sarah M.

sarahdn

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply Empty Re: Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply

Post by skmbuket Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

I would try pumping for 20 minutes, most people will have more than one let-down during this time. So if you stop when the milk stops flowing, you may be missing a 2nd or 3rd letdown and more milk.

skmbuket

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply Empty Re: Seeking advice for pumping/increasing supply

Post by Chimichanga Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Try some oatmeal every day. Try to up your protein as well. What worked for me was Mother's Milk tea. I tried fenugreek pills but they didn't work.

Pumping times varies by person. I have a slower flow, so I can easily go 30-35 minutes in order to have what I consider to be a full pumping session.

If you're trying to increase your supply, try to add a few extra minutes on your session (if you can). Try to get a second letdown - when I went back to work that second letdown was important so I would feel comfortable.

Some moms express only; so I don't know if it's harder on the breasts (and they exclusively pumped for months). If you haven't already, get some lanolin. Medela makes some and so does Lanishoh. I prefer the Medela, but YMMV. It can help with cracked/chapped skin, sore nipples - basically it just helps you feel better.

I've been pumping since DD was 8 weeks (that's when I went back to work) and she's almost 9 months. We nurse on weekends/nights but I pump more often than I nurse.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!!

Chimichanga

Back to top Go down

Post by watawata Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree on pumping a few more extra minutes to get 2nd let down. Sometimes I can get my 3rd let down especially in the morning when my breasts are really full, but I pump 20 to even 30 minutes in the morning (I can pump 15 - 18 oz in the morning; other regular pumping sessions are 6-9 oz or so).

I also agree on eating oat meal. I also eat (sprinkle) brewer's yeast on my meals, yogurt etc. and flax seed meal. Brewer's yeast is good source of vitamin B and protein, and flax seed meal is good source of omega 3 fatty acid, I think. Oatmeal, brewer's yeast, and flax seed meal are keeping my supply pretty strong Very Happy Try the lactation cookies! (http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Lactation-Cookies-by-Noel-Trujillo-192346) I also drink plenty of water, like 1.5 gallon a day (!), too (it may be too much for some people, but I'm so used to be drinking water all the time from my active duty military time, lol). rabbit

watawata

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaz Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Make sure your flanges are the correct size for your nipples. Medela offers different sized flanges, from 20mm, 24mm, 27mm, 30mm. Maybe even 33? I use 27mm and 30mm flanges since my nipples are not the same size. Using the incorrect flange size can make pumping agony and a lot of women need to use a different size flange than the standard. You will need to keep your protein up, too; some women add protein shakes or just eat more meat/beans.
Jaz
Jaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down