MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Lipase-y donation in Malden

Go down

Small Lipase-y donation in Malden Empty Small Lipase-y donation in Malden

Post by roov Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 am

Hi,

I have about 40 ounces free at the moment. I know it's not much, but I'm running out of space in our little freezer.

Potential complication: I seem to have "excessive lipase". I'm new and can't post links yet, but you can Google it. The short version is, lipase is an enzyme that breaks down fats in milk, which is good because it makes them more digestible. However, some women have a LOT of it, and when there's a lot, the theory is that it breaks down the fats while the milk is stored (even in the freezer) and this causes the milk to have a 'soapy' taste that's quite distinctive.

I've tasted it, and it is very noticeable and tastes pretty much as if I'd added a little dishwashing liquid to the milk. (And no, it's not because I didn't rinse the containers thoroughly...tried that!) Not at all the mild, sweet taste of fresh milk (or of most womens' stored milk, apparently).

It's still safe and nutritious to feed, and my 4 month old drinks it right down, soap or no (and has been gaining weight like a champion, so I guess those digestible fats are suiting him just fine), but apparently some babies don't like the taste and will refuse it.

If anyone is close enough to Malden to make it worth while to take a small donation of odd-tasting milk on the chance your baby will drink it, let me know. I tend to pump a bit more than he needs every day, so there will probably be more in the future if your baby takes it OK, though most likely never hundreds of ounces since I'm not overproducing by that much. (Or if you're super close, you could pick up a few ounces every couple of days before the lipase gets to it, but I'm guessing no one is right down the street from me.)

I'm a healthy non-smoker, occasional-glass-of-wine drinker but never before pumping. I'm still taking prenatal vitamins, plus extra calcium and vitamin D, and I'm on the "mini-pill," which is considered safe for breastfeeding.

Let me know if you have questions.

roov

Back to top Go down