MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

flying with frozen milk

5 posters

Go down

flying with frozen milk Empty flying with frozen milk

Post by lanamama Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:06 am

I may be going to Europe in the next few weeks with my baby and wanted to know what the best way to fly with frozen milk is? what do the airlines allow? do i need dry ice? cooler? Would love some advice. thanks!

lanamama

Back to top Go down

flying with frozen milk Empty Re: flying with frozen milk

Post by azureblue33 Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 am

Flying with frozen liquids is the best way. Solids generally do not require any extra screening procedures. Breast milk is considered exempt from the 3-1-1 liquids rule, so you may even fly with it chilled if you'd like. Small amounts of dry ice in a ventilated package is acceptable. You may take ice packs as well, although this may require that you undergo some extra procedures. Just be prepared at the security checkpoint to remove it all from your bag in order to save some time. Check out the TSA and FAA websites for details.

azureblue33

Back to top Go down

Post by kpeoples11 Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 am

I flew recently and they allow you to carry on board with you, an amount of BM, formula and/or baby food that you child may reasonably consume during your travels. The rest of the milk I brought to last us during our trip I was able to put in my CHECKED bag. I only had a three hour flight so I just packed the frozen milk in a soft lunch cooler. If you're flying overseas I would imagine the travel time is much longer so you may want to look into better 'freeze control'. Also, you should remember that the area of the plane where they store your checked bags is not temperature controled. I know our bags would be very cold in flight when we flew in the winter so I am not sure if it would mean it would be warm during the summer. Also the airlines will tell you it's your responsibility to keep your BM frozen while in your bag so extra layers of waterproof/plastic to guard against leaks might be a good idea. Hope this all helps!

kpeoples11

Back to top Go down

Post by macocian Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I had no problem taking a small cooler with frozen solid milk and 3lbs of dry ice as my carry-on. There are a few caveats....

Milk must be frozen solid – no signs of thawing.
Make sure the milk is in zip lock bags in the cooler to prevent leakage.
Make sure only up to 4 lbs of dry ice are carried on.
Make sure the cooler is not air tight – most cooler aren’t air tight.
Make sure you tell the ticket agent as they might put a dry ice sticker on it.
Make sure you tell the TSA agent you have dry ice.

Here's the cooler I used, and it fit under the seat in front of me.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-16-Qt-Personal-Wheeled-Cooler-Blue/13848666

macocian

Back to top Go down

Post by neocleo Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I used one of thos cooler bags from costco- they have the handles which is nice- I took that on many times packed with milk and dry ice with no prob
neocleo
neocleo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down