MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to Donate

2 posters

Go down

Want to Donate Empty Want to Donate

Post by Talia94 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm starting university in the fall, so I'll be moving to the city (Ottawa, Ontario-I'm in Canada). I'm not a mother, but I've read about inducing lactation, and apparently breast milk from induced lactation is not different after the colostrum stage. So, I want to induce lactation and donate the breast milk to babies who need it. I know it will be a big time commitment, but, because I have a thyroid problem (nothing that would affect my breast milk) I can't donate blood. I'm on some medication, but only prescription, and nothing (I think) that would be harmful to a baby. My asthma meds don't even enter my bloodstream, and the others are Reactine and Palafer (a prenatal supplement I take to raise my iron levels). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I should get started, or if I even should. Thanks!

Talia94

Back to top Go down

Want to Donate Empty Re: Want to Donate

Post by crystal87 Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

You'll have to see a doctor and lactation consultant. Get bloodwork done to check for diseases so you'll have that on hand to give to your recipients. I will say though...it's going to be very hard to induce lactation if you've never been pregnant. It can be done, but will be hard. You'll be taking prescription hormone therapy to induce lactation.

P.s Really think this through as you'll have to be pumping every 2 hours to induce lactation. Not trying to discourage you, but I'm a college graduate myself and aside from focusing on your studies, I don't think you'll have time. GL nonetheless!

crystal87

Back to top Go down

Post by Talia94 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 pm

crystal87 wrote:You'll have to see a doctor and lactation consultant. Get bloodwork done to check for diseases so you'll have that on hand to give to your recipients. I will say though...it's going to be very hard to induce lactation if you've never been pregnant. It can be done, but will be hard. You'll be taking prescription hormone therapy to induce lactation.

P.s Really think this through as you'll have to be pumping every 2 hours to induce lactation. Not trying to discourage you, but I'm a college graduate myself and aside from focusing on your studies, I don't think you'll have time. GL nonetheless!

Thanks for the advice. I know it will likely be hard, but I really want to help. My mother couldn't nurse me past three months because of stress. I was put on formula, but when I was nine months old, after I'd started on semi-solid and solid food, I started rejecting everything. Literally. I was projectile vomiting. So my grandmother (who was taking care of me while my mother was hospitalized) took me all the way back to formula. I was fine, but my sister, who my mother nursed until she was nearly three, never had a problem even remotely similar. To this day, some foods make me feel ill, and I don't have any food allergies. I can't help thinking that the formula (necessary because either my mother didn't know about donor milk or it wasn't available in 1994) may have played a role. I don't want other babies to have those difficulties when they grow up. I've done my research, and it's definitely possible. Besides, nothing worth having (or doing) is easy. And why would I want to take the easy way out when I could actually help someone?
About your time concern...I've been homeschooling for the past five years. On top of that, I basically have to cater to my limited-mobility grandmother's every whim. I've learned how to study with major time demands. If I do wind up finding that it's too hard, I'll stop pumping and pick it up again when I have the time. Thanks for caring!

Talia94

Back to top Go down

Post by crystal87 Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Hun, there's no such thing as the "easy way out" in your situation, as you are not obligated to feed a baby. This isnt something you can just stop and then pick back up when you have the time. You'd have to start thevwhole process all over again. That's how milk supply diminishes. Personally I would only recommend induced lactation for a mom who has lost her milk supply or a mom who is adopting a child. Since you stated you were born in '94, you're only about 17 years old (if you were born later in the year). My advice is to enjoy your college years, study, study, study and once you have a child of your own later in your life and if you are blessed with a giant supply (aside from feeding your baby) then I'd recommend donation. There are other ways you can help, like donating breastmilk bags to donor moms, helping recipients out who are going through hardships and aren't able to pay for shipping to secure breastmilk for their little ones, help out donor moms who are in need of breast pumps. Set up a drop off center and Help ship out dropped off milk to moms and babies who live far away. GL, and and I hope you do well in college Smile

crystal87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down