MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds

+2
Austin's Mama
Rosie Sox
6 posters

Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Re: Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds

Post by coopersmommy1226 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 am

Do you still have milk for donation

coopersmommy1226

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Thanks!

Post by Rosie Sox Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I have checked with my pediatrician, midwife, and my ob and they all say that as long as there is no excessive sleepiness Citalopram is OK with the really low dose I am on. I am switching to Zantac as soon as possible, I was on the other because it has been more thoroughly studied for use during pregnancy. As
for the Loperamide, I am conducting tests now to see if I can get off it but the pediatrician says he hasn't ever seen any problems. I don't want to be on meds at all, much less give them to my daughter but sometimes you just can't avoid it Sad I just wish I could help another child!

Rosie Sox

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Here's a good online reference

Post by adbaker0818 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Here's a good reference with links to lots of other sources. I don't know anything about the meds you're on, but just don't freak out unless the research supports it. Lots of women are too quick to pump and dump.

http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/med-risks/
adbaker0818
adbaker0818

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Good Reference

Post by kraymond Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 am

Hi, I have a great reference book Medicaions & Mothers Milk (available at Amazon - ." target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mothers-Milk-Lactational-Pharmacology/dp/098233799X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1330362697&sr=8-Cool.

Definitely double-check first! I live in Orting - if you like, I'll photocopy the pages and send them to you via PDF. Just let me know your e-mail address.

Thanks!
Kassandra

kraymond

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Wait before you dump it.

Post by nmeyers Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Just because a drug is excreted in breast milk does not mean that you should not breastfeed or stop your meds.

Re citolapram: The site clearly states that if this is the best drug for the Mom then she should stay on it. It also clearly states that the amount excreted in the breast milk is small and is dependent on the dose and the Mom's ability to metabolize the drug. 10mg is a small dose so unless you don't metabolize it well your baby is being exposed to less. There were only 2 case reports of sleepy babies the rest were fine (though it seems the numbers studied were small). Your baby is obviously thriving. Babies exposed to citolapram were studied up to a year of age and were growing and developing normally. To be extra cautious you could consider switching to one of the other drugs in the same group that is excreted less in the breast milk but if you have tried these and they don't work then "experts advise against switching"

Re lansoprazole; this drug has not been studied in humans but is excreted in breast milk in rats and carries long term risk in rats of some cancers. No studies in humans but assumed to be excreted in human breast milk too. it is generally recommended to switch this medication. Have you tried Zantac/ranitidine? This is totally safe during breastfeeding in fact it is used in infants for really bad reflux, ( 2 of my 3 babies had to be on it)

Re loperamide drugs.com is says don't use during breastfeeding but it looks like the site just quoted the manufacturer package insert which doesn't necessarily jive with what goes on in the real world. check out webmd, it says excreted in breast milk but likely safe in breastfeeding. again your baby is thriving so no worries :-)

Don't dump your milk. You may find some one who needs it. If not here check with you local Laleche league or post on human milk for human babies HM4HB.

Be happy

nmeyers

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Citrlopram

Post by Austin's Mama Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm

It wont let me post an external link, but if you google " Is Citalopram ok to take while breastfeeding?", it should be the very 1st result by drugs.com. There are also various other links that repeat the same thing. I'm sorry =( It's sad to think of milk going to waste when it's needed by many. (my son included) Maybe you can start donating after your doctor takes you off? I didn't see anything anywhere about the effects lingering after the mother stopped taking it. It was just during. Good luck! =)
Austin's Mama
Austin's Mama

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Dump it?

Post by Rosie Sox Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

I have looked up the effects of Citalopram on breastfeeding infants. The sources that I saw said that the main worries are that the baby will be too sleepy and then some fussiness when weaning off the milk, what sources did you find? I would be interested to know so I can go read the articles.

Rosie Sox

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Dump it!

Post by Austin's Mama Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 pm

You should look up the effects of taking Citalopram during breastfeeding. i wouldn't suggest using it while breastfeeding your child or anyone else's because it crosses the breast milk. Same thing with Lansoprazole. I'm sorry =(
Austin's Mama
Austin's Mama

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds

Post by Rosie Sox Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I have a thriving, robust three month old baby and an oversupply problem. I have reduced my pumping schedule to only twice a day and still have more milk than my baby can eat! My freezer is full with more than 300 ounces in it (I have milk from the first month to now). I should be able to make this a continuing donation. I don't want to waste the milk but I take three meds and can't donate to milk banks.
My doctor has said the meds are safe to take while pregnant with and while breast feeding my child. I eat a healthy and varied diet and take vitamins. I have been screened and tested negative for all manner of diseases before and during my pregnancy. Now, to the nitty gritty... I take 10mg once daily of Citalopram (anti-depressant), 15mg Lansoprazole once daily (heartburn med), and 2mg of Loperamide once daily (anti-diarrheal).
I hope someone can use the milk

Rosie Sox

Back to top Go down

Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds Empty Re: Tacoma mom of thriving baby has an oversupply of milk w/meds

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down