MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you plan to pursue donor milk?

+7
mrellington
Haylee
greatfulmom
janacrisp
4kidstobe
bluecandi
bhtimm
11 posters

Go down

How long do you plan to pursue donor milk? Empty How long do you plan to pursue donor milk?

Post by bhtimm Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 am

Most of my donors have lasted a year or so and then either by circumstance or choosing decide not to donate anymore. I myself have an 18-month old and am still using small amounts of donor milk (we're using only 5-6oz/day due to our dwindling supply - only have 40oz left in the freezer). Just curious, if you're a recipient, how long do you plan on pursuing donor milk? I get the sense most people will do this for a year and then switch to cow's milk or another age-appropriate milk.

I still have a couple donors with age-appropriate milk (moms of babies all over a year) but they are only able to supply small quantities of milk per day and not the huge volumes we were so used to in the beginning (we had one donor who gave us 3000oz in a 4 month time span).

bhtimm

Back to top Go down

How long do you plan to pursue donor milk? Empty Re: How long do you plan to pursue donor milk?

Post by bluecandi Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 pm

I dont have a set time frame.....I want to go to 6 months, then 9m then 12. It will depend on her preferences and whether we have a donor or not. Smile
bluecandi
bluecandi

Back to top Go down

How long do you plan to pursue donor milk? Empty Re: How long do you plan to pursue donor milk?

Post by 4kidstobe Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I just wanted to say please don't call cows milk a 'age apropriate milk" Sad Because cows milk is really just a substitute for human milk. I see nothing wrong with us giving our children substitutes like formula or cows milk,etc...
There are people who do feel that breastmilk has no age limit,so it's apropriate for ALL ages. Some older children need drink it for special health raeasons or because they have very rare disease/disorders and it's the only thing their stomach can tolerate. even with out a "special situation" it is still always beneficail and doesn't lose it's value in nutrients and immunities. If it is beneficial for any age, then there is no age limit.
If i had to bee a recipient, I would try receiving it for at least several yrs,because that's how long I would nurse my child otherwise . if I can nurse my next child till 3 or 4, then I will also donate for that long as well.

4kidstobe

Back to top Go down

Post by janacrisp Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 pm

I am getting ready to feed my third child with donated milk, and we are hoping to have it for a year. we've always had to supplement with formula because we just couldn't find enough donated milk, but we keep looking for a year. after that, unless my child has some medical reason why they can't handle something else, i would feel guilty taking donated milk. there isn't nearly enough to go around, and the younger babies need it more.

janacrisp

Back to top Go down

Post by greatfulmom Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:09 pm

At least 6 months or more if I can get a donor

greatfulmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Haylee Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I am hoping to use donor milk and every drop of my milk until one year old but he is only one month and we still have not gotten a long term donor or any one who can even give us over 50 oz so we will see.

Haylee

Back to top Go down

Post by mrellington Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:08 pm

We're going to try and make it his one year corrected birthday. I'd like to go beyond that but I don't want to take away from the younger babies. We'll see what the donor situation is at that time.
mrellington
mrellington

Back to top Go down

Post by mommytoaprincess Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 pm

If we can find a donor I would like her to have breast milk until she is 1 or possibly older.
mommytoaprincess
mommytoaprincess

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBeingMomma Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:23 am

We just recently stopped giving our 17 month old donor milk (2 days ago!), and switched him to raw milk, but that's mostly because he's flying through our donor milk that we desperately need for our 6 week old. He drinks 9-10oz at a time, she only takes 4-5oz at a time. I hated having to switch him to cow's milk (he's been blessed with donor milk since he was 4 months old), but it's really hard to keep up enough of a supply for the two and we feel the 6 week old needs it more than he does now. I'm hoping to keep her on it until at least 17 months as well. Smile
LoveBeingMomma
LoveBeingMomma

http://www.mythirtyone.com/shelleyd

Back to top Go down

Post by DIYMOM Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

I have a continual donor who's baby is 3 weeks younger than my son, she donates about 8-9oz per day and we pick it up every 2 weeks. I produce around 15 oz a day and with her contribution, I only need to add a few oz a day of raw goatsmilk. I will let the donor make the decision when she is ready to stop contributing. My son is 6 months today and if the other mother goes to a year, we will be happy to take all she'll give. I will continue with my supply until a year and a half probably. If my donor mom only donates for a few more months I wont be pursuing another donor since my son is older and I too believe younger babies need it more...that and I do produce something...just not enough.

DIYMOM

Back to top Go down

Post by COMom Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 pm

We have yet to find a donor and as you all have said I know the younger babies need it more. So I have little hope we will ever find a donor for this little one. He will be 4 months in a few days. Plus, I am sure his doctor will harp again about his weight (still on the low end) at his 4 month check up so will ask her to write a prescription for banked human milk and also write a letter to our insurance company stating it is a medical necessity and pray to God that makes the insurance pay for the milk since we can't afford it.

COMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down