MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why did u start donating?

+13
ReachtotheStars
4kidstobe
Minicia
Melken
heinzy
heartsandhandss
DoubleK
Jodibug
mkoning
MamitaM
Riuaki
JAMs Wife
laura_mae99
17 posters

Go down

why did u start donating?  Empty why did u start donating?

Post by laura_mae99 Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 am

hey yall, i am laura been donating with milk share since 2006... just had our 3rd little one in May and we are still donating. Did most of ya'll line up on going families or did u do one time donations? What made u want to donate? I have donated to over 19 families/Babies so far and i love it.... i started donating after my first was a premie at 4 pounds, came early due to preeclampisa.
laura_mae99
laura_mae99

http:// http://www.modernmilksharing.com/          http:// http:

Back to top Go down

why did u start donating?  Empty Re: why did u start donating?

Post by JAMs Wife Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I am new to donating, as I just had my first child in July 2010. He was a preemie (32 weeker) so I started to pump for him. I always wanted to pump and possibly donate my excess milk. By the time DS came home from the hospital (on breast and bottle) I had over 150oz in our freezer.

So far I have donated to 1 baby in my local area, we are at 200 oz and counting....

JAMs Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by laura_mae99 Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 am

way to go wow thats great... do u pump every day?
laura_mae99
laura_mae99

http:// http://www.modernmilksharing.com/          http:// http:

Back to top Go down

Post by Riuaki Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 am

I started pumping at three weeks so I could go back to work at six weeks. By the time my son was 10 weeks old, my freezer was overflowing and I was pumping far more than my son ate at daycare. I made my first donation at the end of March and I've now donated about 3000oz to five babies and am looking to increase that number soon since my freezer is overflowing again. I don't work outside the home anymore, but I still pump once a day to donate. Because of my overproduction and my body's very slow response to changing demand, I've had to very slowly decrease from the sessions a day I was doing while working down to once a day now (we nurse on demand, about every 2-3 hours), and I'll probably stay there for a while and continue to donate the 8+oz a day I still pump. I have one ongoing recipient family now (I had a different one until they moved out of the area), but they only need about half of my stash so I still have more to give and I'm currently looking for a second family to take some of it. I am qualified to donate to banks, but decided my milk would be more beneficial being privately donated because my own allergy diet is what some babies need to thrive.

Riuaki

Back to top Go down

Post by MamitaM Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm

While I was pregnant I found out a friend (an on-line friend) of mine gets donated milk for her baby b/c she can't make enough. I thought it was really nice that someone donated to her. Just after that I read a blog post that another friend posted on her facebook. I was so amazed at how much milk this woman had donated and how happy it made her to do it. I thought it would be a good thing for me to and would make me feel good doing it. I thought if I had a good supply and enough to keep my baby well fed and happy then I'd consider it.

My baby boy is now a month old and almost 2 weeks ago we met a local family with a 4 months old who needs milk. So I started pumping and have close to 100 ounces so far ready to be picked up in a couple of days.

MamitaM

Back to top Go down

Post by mkoning Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 am

I gave birth in May 2010 and my wife induced lactation so we could both feed our daughter. We both have to pump regularly to keep our milk supplies up. We end up with tons of extra milk. We've donated 1500 ounces so far to three different families and I've recently gotten set up with a milk bank as well, since we've sometimes had to deal with delays in getting milk shipped and losing communication with recipient families and our freezers have filled up.

mkoning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodibug Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:08 am

mkoning wrote:I gave birth in May 2010 and my wife induced lactation so we could both feed our daughter. We both have to pump regularly to keep our milk supplies up. We end up with tons of extra milk. We've donated 1500 ounces so far to three different families and I've recently gotten set up with a milk bank as well, since we've sometimes had to deal with delays in getting milk shipped and losing communication with recipient families and our freezers have filled up.

That's a beautiful story, so amazing that you both get to have that special relationship with your LO.

Jodibug

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleK Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:07 pm

As a new Mom to my daughter, I wanted nothing more than to breastfeed. Due to lack of knowledge and mis-information, I gave up after a few weeks thinking I didnt have enough milk and that she wasnt latching properly. Knowing what I know now, I was SO wrong! When my son was born, I was determined to get it right this time. He is now 12 months old and we are going strong (not without some hard times, mastitis etc). We are pumping any extra to donate to a local Mom and it feels SO good. Breastmilk is such a wonderful gift and I am so happy to help out another baby where I wasnt able to with my first. Such a great feeling!!!

DoubleK

Back to top Go down

Post by heartsandhandss Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm

I went into very premature labor at 14 weeks with my last baby. For some reason (I have a few theories) my milk came in three days later without stimulation and I was so upset I asked my friends how to get rid of it. One suggested I pump and donate, and it sounded perfect. I ended up pumping for two months, and donated almost 900 ounces to two families. One had a baby that needed heart surgery, and I was able to give them over 400 ounces, 30 of which was colostrum and very high in fat/calories.

It helped me so much to be able to make something good out of what happened. Made it seem not so harsh I guess.

If we decide to have more children (we have a three year old also) I will definitely pump and donate again, such a great gift to give.

heartsandhandss

Back to top Go down

Post by heinzy Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:30 am

I realized I needed to donate when my freezer was full and my baby was only 8 wks old. I have a large over supply with baby #2, freezing 30-40oz. per day. I was able to find a couple with an adopted daughter whom I sent most of my milk to. I have been donating since January 2010 and will stop when I am finished exclusively pumping. I also donate to the Mothers' Milk Bank of Ohio and to my sister. When all is said and done it will equal about 85 gallons or 11,000 oz, not too shabby!

Last edited by heinzy on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

heinzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Melken Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I have pumped full time for my son since he was 9weeks and he will be 9months on the 11th. I had close to a thousand oz in the freezer and wasn't going to use it all and wanted to help other Mommas who needed milk. I have donated to one Momma a couple of times and plan to keep donating. It feels amazing to be able to help. My hope is that it will become second nature for Mommas to donate their extra milk to Mommas that need it, and more and more Mommas will know that their is human milk for them.

Melken

Back to top Go down

Post by Melken Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:23 pm

heartsandhandss wrote:I went into very premature labor at 14 weeks with my last baby. For some reason (I have a few theories) my milk came in three days later without stimulation and I was so upset I asked my friends how to get rid of it. One suggested I pump and donate, and it sounded perfect. I ended up pumping for two months, and donated almost 900 ounces to two families. One had a baby that needed heart surgery, and I was able to give them over 400 ounces, 30 of which was colostrum and very high in fat/calories.

It helped me so much to be able to make something good out of what happened. Made it seem not so harsh I guess.

If we decide to have more children (we have a three year old also) I will definitely pump and donate again, such a great gift to give.

Wow you are a hero!!!!! So amazing that your milk came in and so amazing of you to search out to help. Take care Smile

Melken

Back to top Go down

Post by Melken Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:25 pm

mkoning wrote:I gave birth in May 2010 and my wife induced lactation so we could both feed our daughter. We both have to pump regularly to keep our milk supplies up. We end up with tons of extra milk. We've donated 1500 ounces so far to three different families and I've recently gotten set up with a milk bank as well, since we've sometimes had to deal with delays in getting milk shipped and losing communication with recipient families and our freezers have filled up.

Amazing !!!! Not too many couples get to know what the other is going through. So great you both got to share the breastfeeding bond.

Melken

Back to top Go down

Post by Minicia Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:51 am

I have a stubborn 4 1/2 month old baby boy who hates bottles and only wants his milk straight from the source. I work 4 days a week and pump 2-3 times daily so that my supply is strong at night for him--he eats all night long!! Yawn...anyway, our freezer is filled to overflowing and my husband is sick of dodging frozen milk bags as they fly out when the door gets opened! I can't bear the thought of just throwing it away, although a few people suggested I do just that Mad . So I heard about this board on another board, and here I am. I'm about to send my first shippment to a mama in NC, and am trying to unload another 200-300 oz! I like the idea that my hard work in pumping and all the love I feel for my baby will go to benefit another baby somewhere out there!!

Minicia

Back to top Go down

Post by 4kidstobe Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:34 pm

I have 3 kids. and breastfed all three with no problems.

I really wanted to donate back when I had #2 because I read online about milk banks. I asked only the hospital I delivered at ,if they knew about anywhere I could donate. The nurse acted clueless said the hospital didn't take donations for babies ,and looked at me like I had two heads or something. This was in 2003. Probably before they had facebook (and eats on feets),and other sites like this (?) .

When my sister had some extra frozen milk she wasn't using, (because my neice wasn't taking a bottle yet ), she moved out of town and would have thrown it away when it expired, so I asked if I could donate. Her and our other sister can produce a lot of milk ,but they both don't donate. This was in Jan. She let me donate that 30ounces that was about to expire in the next month if it wasn't going to be used. It went to local baby not far from me. I got to meet the family and they even made a bottle out of that milk for the baby before I left their home, and I was suprised how much more rewarding it would be than I thought and it wasn't even my own milk I was giving. And that there are people who do apreciate it ! Because I had originaly offered it to a formula feeding mom,and she declined my offer Sad .

I am expecting #4 in October 2011 , (YAy !) and hope to be blessed with a big supply this time , like with my last 3. I am planning to show proof that I am disease free,and all that good stuff too . I will also be cows milk free ! I am 14 weeks and I actualy had a passing thought ,wondering if I ever lost my baby due to miscarriage,etc... if I could produce milk or not. and that is awesome it can be possible to! I am not sure if I would want to pump ater a loss, because I would be busy trying for another baby. But Heartsandhandss, that is such a selfless thing you did ! Something probably extremely rare, just like I am sure it is rare for a birth mother to pump for the baby she placed with an adoptive couple. I think more birth moms should do that actualy. I know some sarrogate(sp?) mothers do.

I want to donate because I feel strongly about breast milk being superior to formula. And because I am hoping with enough people milk sharing, and maybe (SAFE) wet nursing can come back in style again too. I would love to see breastmilk donation ,and more milk banks eventually be looked at as a better option so formula won't be used as much. I think formula is valuable for those who truely need it (low/no milk supply, gotta take your medications, mother works ft, special situations) but shouldn't be so easily accessible for purely convenience. Also, I think society/gov,etc.. needs to support it more when it comes to the work world. Employers should be required by law to allow a mother to pump as much as she needs to,so she can continue to breastmilk feed,regardless of the type of job. And mothers shouldn't get flack for nursing in public .

4kidstobe

Back to top Go down

Post by ReachtotheStars Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 am

I have an overactive letdown and a serious oversupply issue. With my first son he was born with congenital lactose intolerance and almost starved to death on my breastmilk before we figured out the issue. However even after quitting nursing my supply stayed until 4-6 months pregnant with my newest little one. I did pump for a few months before TTC to donate to a milk bank, but I have learned that that milk costs a lot and some moms can't afford it.

Now I still have my oversupply and want to continue to help other babies.
ReachtotheStars
ReachtotheStars

Back to top Go down

Post by ajeanieball Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I had heard vaguely of milk donation when I had my 1st child, although I thought it was only through milk banks. I thought that sounded like a wonderful idea, although since my first was a preemie, I was stuck with exclusively pumping and thus had trouble keeping up with just him. I stopped responding to the pump around 6 months and began to dry up. I tried desperately to get him to latch or at least keep up my supply with no luck. Shortly after I completely dried up, around 9 months, I realized there are places other than milk banks where you can get milk, but I still didn't know any sites. Half of me really wanted to find BM for my son because he was always a very sick child, but the other half was scared to try it. I ended up responding to a posting for free BM on craigslist, but the milk was not available Sad My son, however, did receive a small quantity of BM from a relative for a very short time, which I was happy about.

Through this heartbreaking experience, I just knew with my next child that I wanted to be a donor, if it was at all possible. At the same time, I was paranoid I would have supply problems and wanted to keep my stash for myself, just in case. By the time my daughter was 3 months and my freezer was full of milk that we would never touch, I knew it was time to donate. Since then (Dec 10/Jan 11), I have been donating about 300 oz at a time. I have helped 3 families (4 babies) so far with about 1000 oz of milk. When I think about how long that really lasts, I know its not much, but I also know, it makes a world of a difference for the babies and the families that receive it. It made me feel so good the 1st time I donated and the mom was so wonderful and grateful.

ajeanieball

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmysmom Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Like others, I donated because I had started pumping to be sure that I would have enough to feed my son when I returned to work. I gave birth in July, by august, my freezer was quite full, but my supply had not slowed at all, so I kept pumping for my own comfort. Here we are, 4 months later,I just donated >900 oz to a couple with twins. Although, initially my motivation was to make room in my freezer, but it really makes me feel good to know that I helped them.So much that I am increasing my pumping so that I can help them out with more in the future, but they don't know that yet. Very Happy
jimmysmom
jimmysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by jthoman Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 pm

When my daughter was 11 months old, we were moving into our new house and she would never take a bottle and I didn't want to risk losing milk in the move, so I found out about this group through a PCOS forum I belong to. I ended up donating a total of 614 oz to 4 different babies. I only pumped once a day and didn't start until she was 3 months old because I didn't know about donation and I was nearly done breastfeeding her when I did learn about it.

With my son who is now 11 months old, I started pumping in the hospital. My milk came in sooner and I have so far donated 1775 oz to 4 more babies in the nine months since I've had him. I have another 1000 oz in my freezer that I will probably end up donating too or at least part of it. I pump twice a day and while my son does take an occasional bottle as needed, he is with me most of the day so doesn't usually need to.

I really like doing this, it makes me feel good. I always donated blood when possible and since I can do that while pregnant or breastfeeding, I'm doing this instead.

jthoman

Back to top Go down

Post by rizados Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 am

I just started the process of donating today.

When my daughter was born in June, it was a cascading series of issues one after another that led to her not wanting to breastfeed off of me (36 hours of pitocin-induced labor due to GD, GBS+ placenta, I spiked a 103 fever during labor, her heart rate was all over the board, there was meconium in the fluid, I wound up with a c-section and she wound up in the NICU with an Apgar of a 4). Because they fed her via bottle in the NICU, she never wanted to latch onto the breast, despite numerous attempts, so I wound up pumping for everything she ate.

Because nobody told me how long to pump for, I'd been pumping for an hour at a time each time I pumped. My system went into overdrive, and I wound up with an oversupply issue, freezing between 10 and 20 ounces a day (my highest marathon pumping session got me 21 ounces in one session!). I tried to donate to a milk bank back then, but there isn't a bank any closer than five hours away from me, and I don't trust delivery services to do it correctly. My local NICU doesn't accept donations except through a bank. So I just kept freezing milk.

When my daughter went to daycare, I started using the frozen milk in half and half bottles of fresh/frozen, but because I still continued to pump large amounts, I was freezing more than she was using from my stash.

So here I am with an eight month old, and frozen milk that goes back five months because she's going through it so very slowly... I don't want to see that milk go to waste, and I know my milk is good for growing kids, she's actually jumped tracks on the *formula* based charts from the 25% to the 50% range! So if I can give some other baby a chance to grow well on my milk, I'd much rather see that than watch my milk expire in my freezer! I have an entire separate freezer full of milk at this point, and as much as I'd like to stop pumping soon, my body just doesn't seem to want to get the hint to slow down that much.

I don't know how much I'll donate yet, but there seems to be someone not far away from where I live who needs milk, so it looks like a win-win!

rizados

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down