MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Medications

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Medications

Post by adevries on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 pm

I am BFing/Pumping with my 3 mo old and already have a large freezer stash (250+ oz) so I wanted to look into donating my stash as I continue to add to it... the banks won't take me cause I take birth control and an allergy med daily. I'm not concerned about my meds with my child and wonder if there are others out there also that feel the same way and would take my milk? I figure if my dr is okay with prescribing it to me I'm okay with taking it.

I'm not 100% ready to donate, but in a few weeks I think I'd have 25 bags w/ 4 oz each (a few with more) to donate. I don't want my freezer packed with milk and I don't want to throw it out.

What is most ppl's thoughts on different medications? What are most okay with and which are a definate no go out there? I definately wouldn't take something that would knowingly hurt my child, but I think since the milk banks go to NICUs and such they are rightfully more picky, but what about for the average healthy infant?

adevries

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Medications

Post by xrayeyes07 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 am

I always check out Kelly mom-Is This Safe When Breastfeeding? before I take any medication, even if a dr prescribed it to me because there are a lot of doctors who aren't familiar with the effects on nursing or what the medication can do to your supply. It will give you the risks with taking it and if it is safe or not. If it says it is ok on that site then I don't have a problem taking it. I always watch for a reaction in my daughter when I am taking the medication to make sure it isn't upsetting her tummy or something like that.
As long as you are open and honest about what medication you are taking and how much then I don't see why you won't be able to find a family willing to take your milk. They check do the research on the medication themselves also.
Good luck!

xrayeyes07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top