MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MilkShare
Thank you for requesting to join MilkShare! We are happy to have you. Inappropriate requests are not tolerated and forums are carefully moderated. Please read our guidelines for safer sharing at www.milkshare.com. If you are seeking milk, we request that you please help to keep MilkShare alive by contributing $20 via Paypal to yaaykhadi@gmail.com prior to posting. Thousands of families have used MilkShare to donate or receive milk for their babies. We believe that this community is preserving an age old practice and giving more babies the best nutrition possible. Thank you for contributing to our success!
MilkShare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In need of milk for twins!

Go down

In need of milk for twins!  Empty In need of milk for twins!

Post by mommy2two+twins Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm

We are desperately trying to keep up with the boys! I am willing to drive as far a Provo (we're from Meridian, ID) to pick up milk. They are now 10 1/2 months old, but still having as many issues as before. We have yet to find anything that works as well as breastmilk for them. As they are getting older it is getting harder to find them milk. We are running very low and I am ready to make a drive to pick up precious milk! We are not picky as long as you are healthy. They have used newborn milk on up to toddler milk and do just fine on any of it. If you have milk you can donate, we'd love to hear from you! Now their story-

Rowan and Ryder, identical twins, were born at 32 weeks gestation due to an infection in the amniotic fluid weighing 4lbs 3oz and 4lbs 6oz. They were both taken to the NICU and had to be intubated within the first hour. They remained on vents, umbilical lines and of course all the monitors it looks like you are very familiar with for 24 and 32 hours. After that the were moved to cannulas and had PICC lines placed. I, of course, began pumping within two hours of birth determined that my babies were going to have breast milk and nothing else. I worked closely with the LC at the hospital, pumping every two to three hours day and night, but my milk never fully came in. I just didn't respond to the pump. Meanwhile the boys were showing an interest in nursing by sucking vigorously on their pacis, so we tried recreational nursing (pumping before) and they latched, but it was very weak because of their age. We had hoped that this would help my supply, but no luck there. We continued on with pumping and trying to nurse several times a day and never got far. They had to do 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula very early on. From the start there was issues. They had severe reflux that would cause them to stop breathing, rashes, and discomfort. They played with different types of formula but nothing made a difference so they remained on Neosure. Before they were on formula they had come off the cannula and were doing great, but after they had to go back on. By the time they were about 23 days old they were taking all feeds by mouth so we just had to wait the three day period without any "episodes" of apnea, bradys or desats. They had given up on getting them off oxygen for awhile, so the episodes were all that was keeping us there. Finally, due to my experience with my preterm daughter (32 weeks as well)they just let us take them home on monitors and reminded us to stimulate or turn up the flow on their cannula if they started having trouble. Talk about sleepless nights! After a few nights home I found a local lady who had too much milk so I contacted her and gave it a try. Sure enough they were acting better within 24 hours! I continued to give them as much as I could even working with multiple LC's and an herbalist. I tried all the prescriptions, herbs, and tricks out there with no luck, but didn't give up. Finally when they were about 4 1/2 to 5 months old and I was taking over 20 pills a day I got very sick. It was at that point I realized I couldn't do this to myself and my body anymore and stopped the meds. My meger supply dropped even more to mere cc's at a time from 20 minutes of pumping. So I dried up, and have been relying on donated milk since. As they get older it is becoming more and more difficult to find donations (currently 9 months). Oddly enough, their symptoms continue to get worse the older they get. We finally have a diagnosis, they have a true preservative allergy! That is the reason they cannot even take the $80/can prescriptions and believe me! We have tried every type of formula out there! As they get older we continue to try to introduce small amounts here and there, but it's always the same thing- they get hives almost immediately, break out in bleeding rashes, have blood in their stools and occasionally even get blisters in their mouths. They can't even have jarred baby food due to this, so everything they eat has to be homemade. Most recently Ryder was scooting on the floor and found some cereal my son dropped, within about 2 hours he was screaming and have red sploches all over his face and the rash came the next morning.

I won't ramble on anymore and bore you! LOL We would love to have your extra milk if you will consider us!:-)
mommy2two+twins
mommy2two+twins

Back to top Go down